• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone else feel stupid while helping there teen do homework?

When im helping my daughter (15) do her math homework i feel kinda slow cause i dont understand it as much as i used to, does any one elsefeel that way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am nervous about helping my son with homework when he's older.

Math is my weakest subject so I would have to either depend on my husband to help him or hire a tutor.
    Anonymous

• no not really i help my brothers and my sister with their math and stuff . my brothers are in college and my sister in 16 , i have always been good at all that stuff tho lol . give it a few more years tho like when my kids are teens and ya i probably will forget it all . high school wasnt that long ago for me lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son's only three... but I remember complaining to my mom about I couldn't understand my trig homework my junior year. She looked at the book where it showed how to do the problem, then tried doing a problem. (I can't remember if it was even or odds, but there was one set of answers in the back, supposedly to help you check your work). She checked the answer and it wrong. She looked back at the problem then told me, well I can take you to school early tomorrow if you want to talk to the teacher, but I can't help you. She looked so sad and was serious when she said that I couldn't help but laugh, and we wound up laughing til we had tears in our eyes and all night long we would look at each other and just start laughing.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have been feeling stupid with math homework since 2nd grade. I do not understand the way math is taught now. My son is in 7th grade and the math is beyond me. Math is not my subject and have always had troubles. My sons math book is online and has tutorials that he watches when he has questions or he asks his teacher. He doesn't even bother to ask me for math help, I make his grades worse. Ask her teacher if the book is online and if it is get the login and password. Good luck, my advice, hire a tutor or find one of her friends that understands what they are doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Thankfully, my teen daughters don't ask for help with their homework - they do very well on their own. I do look at what they are learning, though, and am astounded at how much I have forgotten since high school. They asked how I could forget such things and I told them that in the past 24 years I haven't had to use most of what was taught to me in high school. I did tell them that they have to learn it to earn their diploma and that each thing they learn may direct them to a career specialty that may interest them.
    When I go back to college for my Bachelor's degree, I noticed that I have to take an Algebra course...lol...I'll be asking my daughters for help I think...lol.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My kids are doing things in school right now that I did not have until college! so yes, I feel stupid a lot of the time!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Algebra never was my thing, but to my son is comes natural. He has signed up for his high school classes and I told him that his father will be the one to help him with Calculus and Trig. He will be taking college math his Junior year, WTF?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• NO, unless it's history! I hated history!!!!! Math was one of my two really good subjects. The other was science.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2010