• In the Spotlight:

ferrous sulfate teeth stain question

my almost 1 year old has been taking 3/4 teaspoon of ferrous sulfate (iron liquid supplement) for about 3 months and today I noticed 5 of his 6 teeth have a gray tiny. is this from the supplement?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• it could be. it could also be if he's had any damage to the teeth. check with your dr at your next appt.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I switched my son to Poly Vi Sol with Iron and over time I have noticed his two front teeth have turned gray. He brushes his 18 teeth everyday and then I brush them. I am adamant about doing so and have been since he got his first tooth which was at 4.5 months. I asked his pedi about it yesterday and he dismissed it, but I actually stopped giving him that vitamin for 4 days and the grayish tint is just about gone. My answer is YES iron can cause staining on the teeth for some kids. Good luck getting an answer from your pedi.
    NutsAboutGabe

Answer by NutsAboutGabe at 3:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009