doews it matter-section or vaginal borth?

I see alot of moms using the word "natural" when it comes to vag births, like somehow c sections are not, and I was owndering why that is? is that what people really think or are they using the term natural incorrectly? Our bodies make the babies, and they come from our bodies, sometimes the section is the only way to save mom or baby, but does that make it unnatural? guess just looking for some clarification. :o) ty.

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 1:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The fact is a c-sect. is not natural. It is a medical intervention. It is natural for a certain percentage of moms to die during childbirth, thankfully that rarely happens now because of c-sections. The fact that it is not natural does not make it any less "real", or make you any less of a mother. I have said that I have had both a c-sect and a natural vaginal birth. By natural I mean with no medical interventions (no medications etc.). I think for a lot of people a "natural" birth is one without medical intervention. Natural, the way nature intended. An epidural or a c-sect. is not "natural". That does not mean that it is bad, or not as much of a birth, just a birth that was supported by medical intervention.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• because a csection is a surgery that is not natural . no i dont think any less of someone that has a csection things happen . but that is why because it is a sugery it is not a natural birth .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• IDK for sure but I think they say natural because that is the "real" natural way that women have been having babies since the beginning of time and c-sections didn't come around until later soo/......I think thats why lol
    ladyraven16

Answer by ladyraven16 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I had two c-sections, one was emergency, because my son's life was in jeapordy, He was born 3 months early, and the second was scheduled, the doctor felt it was safer to that way, so no complications. Had daughter at 38 weeks. If you are able to have a normal birth experience without c-section, go for it.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• What would you call it when somebody goes into labor with out any interventions?
    I call it natural birth.
    If you have a better term I would gladly start using it.
    I do not see anything wrong about having a c-section if it is for the health and well being of the mother and child, but I do not see it as natural. The mother and baby are drugged and the mother is cut open. I don't see that as natural.
    I don't think there is anything to judge anyone over as the result is is the same... a healthy baby.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• "natural" means no meds too...I had a csection and I don't care. Im actually kinda glad. I pushed for 2 hours and she was stuck. but she's a very healthy perfect beautiful baby. That\s all that should matter to anyone...not that you're a "badass" for not using meds. that's your own fault. LOL
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• vaginal birth is not always natural. Natural means the way nature intended: no drugs/interventions/labor augmentation.

Cesareans are not natural, not even close. They are major abdominal surgery. While there are instances where cesareans do save lives, they are overused, over done, and frankly many OB's are just irresponsible and allow them to be done for any reason.. which is attributing to the infant/maternal mortality rate in this country.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i agree thqat natural means with no med intervention, and as I suspected, the term was just being used incorrectly. ty for sharing ladies.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• iDK nathskitten...the way you said "the woman is drugged and cut open"....sounded a wee bit judgemental...I hope you never have to go thru it and question yourself as a mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I read the opp to one post...that the availablity of c sections has in fact boosted infant mortality rates, as at one time they were not done at all...i got that for a CNN medical based site I believe...but ty all for the feedback. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009