• In the Spotlight:

Stay at home moms

Hey everyone! I am trying to conceive a child, since I lost my son on Feb 11th at 20 weeks gestation. My husband is up for a huge promotion that he'll get in Feb 2010. With this promotion, he'll make almost triple what we both make now together, so I have the option to stay at home and be a parent, if we can conceive another child. I honestly never wanted to do that before, but now.. thinking about not having to get a day care and being with my child all day sounds so great to me. for the SAHM, I know you enjoy it, because if youdidn't, you wouldn't do it probably, but whats the best thing about it? what's the worst? I have thought about working part time, instead of full time just to get out of the hosue every now and then, but I just cant decide yet. What's the best part and worst part of being a SAHM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm soo sorry for your loss. The best part is being with your kids all day and getting to see every new thing they do and say. You get to play with them, just watch them grow on a day to day basis. The worst part is trying to find time for yourself, being a SAHM is a 24/7 job. It has it's ups and downs but there is nothing I'd rather do. GL
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• The best part is being able to be with your child all day...watching them learn and achieve their firsts.

The worst part is having to be around children all day..."Mommy, mommy, mommy..." That gets old. Also, the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc, with zero notice or appreciation.
    Anonymous

• * I should add, I'm pretty happy being a SAHM. I know I'm lucky to be able to stay at home, so I try not to complain too much.
    Anonymous

• The best part is knowing my child is raised at home with a parent. You dont have to hope someone else is teaching your child the way you would want them to grow up and learn about life.

The hard part is lack of adult interaction. Friends, life outside of your kids. Losing your independance. I think that working part time is a good idea if you can do this without having to depend on babysitters. This gives you a little independance and a little money for yourself or to help with househould matters.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I enjoy the fact that I know what my kids are learning and being able to teach them all that I want them to know, the down side, I am with them nearly all of the time and don't hardly get time for myself at all. I do it because we can't afford day care though. I have tried to work and all that I made went to daycare and we lost the little bit of help we were getting that barely got us by. So it's a financial decision for me.
    Anonymous

• The best part is being able to see your child's firsts. Being able to see each milestone and not some other women. The tough part is that it is constant & very little time for yourself. But this is very simple to address. You need to find time for yourself by getting a babysitter. This allows you to take care of your needs. This is a must!!!!!

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 1:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I want to add that staying at home is a choice! I'm extremely proud of my choice to be a SAHM.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 1:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I am very sorry too about your loss. I've been a stayathom for just about 25 years, my youngest is in hs and the oldest is just about done with college and will soon be jobhunting, and I have another one in college. I was bullied when I was a kid and I vowed if I was blessed with children to raise or to nurture in a job that respect would be foremost in their upbringing. My mother is hands off herself, she did not bully but she didn't nurture either ever at all. I have loved and love letting my kids know still after all this time, that they are loved with their wrongs and with their rights. Not just because they're rights are so right. And my kids being as old as they are have made some nasty wrongs but that is part of their decision making growing up no matter the age when the wrong occured. There is always another second to do a bit better or alot better.
    Anonymous

• The best parts:
    Knowing what your child does each day, watching that little mind unfold, learn, and grow, being part of every "first", being able to take Mommy & Me classes

The worst parts:
    The isolation, being on-call 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year... there is no time off, no coffee breaks, you can't just "veg" your way through bad days when you are super sick or tired.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I work part time. I work 5- 8 hour days every two weeks then I have 9 days off. I love my schedule. I'm home with my son then I work and get out of the house then I'm ready to be home again. While bringing in extra money. We're saving over a 1000 a month just ecause I work part time, not paying day care and all that. I love my job and schedule and I love being home with my son. Who is 13 months.
    There is no down side to working part time in my opinion besides the fact you wish you could stay home and not work (I just don't like working hehe)
    Anonymous