What do you do if your child talks back to you?

My son is almost 3 and he's become very bratty and likes to tell me to shut up and go away. First strike is a time out. Second strike is a time out and no tv time/favorite toys get taken away. Third strike is a swat on the bum and a time out. Nothing seems to do any good, though, and I can't think of anything else to do to get him to stop this. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out and/or a spanking. Sometimes one swat isn't enough to make them understand you mean business. If my kid is really acting up, they get 3 swats AND timeout.
    Anonymous

• I learned that with kids you have to get like 80% dummer and 90%more patient .At that age he is testing those what your is ok but remember taking too many extremes can turn him into a masequist .your going to have to have a straight eye contact and constant nagging untill you bore him and make shur he is looking at you if he turnes his head redirect it allways finish with you understand .nagging has more power than grounding ask my Gramma .She can go for hours .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i have a step daughter that is a very bratty age of three says duh tells me im fat to go away i hurt her feelings an on top of that she throws going to her mommys in my face. start a star system is what ive been doing chores hes old enough to pick up his clothes or put his toys away an everything else every day he does good he gets a star when he talks back warn him about taking his stars but still punish him the first time second take the stars. an after so many stars add up like five stars is he picks a restraunt or 10 stars is chuck e cheese things like that if it gets to out of hand i decided that talkin back mostly happened about helping me clean soo all there toys came out of there room an when there good they earn them back. if you wanna talk more let me know.
    SouthernMomma04

Answer by SouthernMomma04 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Explain to him why you object to his behavior & make sure you are setting a good example when speaking to him. Eventually he will get it.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• What is he trying to do when he talks back? Maybe it's just for attention. Does ignorning him and not talking to him again until he uses better language/respsect help?
    Anonymous

• In our home talking back is direct disrespect and merits a spanking, then a lengthy sit in the time out chair. No warnings, no chances.

If I see any of the kids getting frustrated to were things might evolve into rude comments or behavior, they are asked to go sit in the time out chair, take a breather and come out when they are calm. Catching it before it happens helps them learn to stop and compose themselves.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think if you give kids 2/3 warnings and let them get away with it, that's 66% of the time he gets to mouth off.

Cut it at the quick and do the Gesaldt parenting. Bad behavior = instant bad consequences.

There's no other effective way to teach your child.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 9:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2009