• In the Spotlight:

Are boys more daredevils and get themselves hurt more than girls?

So this comes from another question on what was the most dangerous thing your child has done and most moms that replayed spoke of the terrors their little BOYS have done. Are boys really more daredevils than girls? Do they get hurt more and do more dangerous things? I have a baby boy (5 mo) and I am just imagining what I have in store with him and visits to the ER...oh goodness!

Share your stories! Especially if you have both sexes--does your son get in more predicaments than your daughter?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter is the more adventurous of the two.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My daughter is very daring.. she isn't as hyper by any means but within 3 weeks my daughter has managed to jump off of my bed and fractured her wrist and had to have a pretty pink cast... and then 2 weeks after that happened it was another trip to the ER because she busted her lip open and needed stitches... So boys are very daring and hyper... but little girls get hurt just as much as boys! My nephew is actually more daring than my daugher.. and hasn't had stitches or broken bones! Good luck! =)

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• well my son is a terrorizer, he destroys EVERYTHING and my mom told me i never did that and neither did the girl his age at the day care i sent him to but really who knows if its a 'boy vs girl' thing or just some babies are terrors and some arent :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My daughter is very daring and adventurous too. My husband was really nervous that we would have a boy simply because he remembers how much stuff he did as a kid and didn't want to have the constant headache of raising such a child himself. :)
    BUT
    I've noticed over the years that moms are more permissive with boys, allowing them to run and jump while telling their daughter to walk quietly. So I think biology plays one part - boys are generally (that's generally - not always) more physical and are constantly testing what they can do. But how a child is raised plays a part too - if a girl is encouraged to run, jump and climb she will be more active than a girl who is always scolded and told to play with her dolls quietly.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Girls can be daring and destructive too, it just seems that boys are just crazier. They don't think before they act. LOL!!!! I have taught preschool and some of the girls scared the crap out of me, scaling booksheleves, jumping off tables, hanging upside down from bars on the playground. I was on a first name basis with the ER staff at the local hospital for a few years. It was like the show "Cheers"...we walked in and they all said, "HI TYLER!! What did you do this time?" I have lots of stories of him and can tell a few of my brother.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son isn't that daring but when it comes to swings the higher the better. Last summer while at the park he went to high, fell off and broke his arm. It was 6 weeks of trying to keep the cast dry!
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Well, my first son was fine and my 2nd daughter was the ER queen. So no not just boys.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009