~~Need some input~~

My boyfriend has a drinking problem an everyone wants him to slow down what could i do i love him so much i never want to loose him he thinks ill leave cause of the drinking its BEER by the way...

mamas1988

Asked by mamas1988 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• if he has a drinking problem then slowing down won't help. The only help is him admitting he has a problem and stop drinking. He could go to AA for support.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would just explain how you felt and how everyone else feels. He might relize when he knows that everyone is worried for him. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Intervention/rehab?

Otherwise, he isn't going to quit until he wants to...or until you give him a wake up call.
    Anonymous

• u should threaten to leave him if he dont stop. its un healthy and if u hav kids its not as good example. hes on the right track with sayin ull leave him. it doesnt matter if its beer wine rum gin etc etc he has a problem and he needs to do something about it. maybe aa or rehab or something.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You can't make a grown person do anything they do not want to do. You either put up with his drinking or you don't.

Answer by louise2 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You have no power to change him about his drinking or about anything else. The only way he will ever change is if he chooses to give it up. If I were where you are today, I would tell him that I was through because If it is a problem today, it will be more of a problem next year and the year after that. Character is what counts in a man when looking at the long term. Any addiction to any substance or other habit indicates a weakness of character or an addictive personality. It does not make for a trusting union and it sets you up for failure. I would be gone.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Find an Al Anon meeting to go to. BTW it doesn't matter what kind of alcohol it is. Some people think you can't be an alcoholic if it is "only beer". That is simply NOT true! go to http://www.al-anon.org/

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I remember this situation except it was weed with my boyfriend. I tired everything honestly. Nothing worked I threatened him that I was going to leave and it still didnt work.
    Eventually I took the kids and left. he stopped I moved back in and he hasnt picked up week ever since. Its been 2 years! Good luck!
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I went through the same thing with an ex of mine. Except he liked vodka. I ended up leaving him. That is the great thing about only having a boyfriend instead of a husband. You can dump them whenever. I say move on. There are many good guys that don't have a drinking problem why settle for less?As far as you loving him...
    You love him more than yourself?
    That is the real question.
    Anonymous

• If he doesn't want to stop, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. The fact he thinks you're going to leave because of it tells him he's got a problem and you're having a problem with his problem.
    He can't stop for you... he has to stop for himself. BUT you can tell him that he needs to think about help because every day that he drinks it's slowly killing his body (if you've ever seen anyone sick and dying from drinking it'll snap those eyes wide open, cerrosis of the liver is a horrible death).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2009