Catholic wake?

Im not familiar with this service/ritual. Could anyone give me details on what exactly happens at a Wake? thanks

guardmp_MOM

Asked by guardmp_MOM at 1:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics are not the only ones who have wakes. Basically it is a viewing, a chance to pay your last respects to the deceased. The person who has passed will be at the front of the room and the family will be lined up either beside or across from the casket. Visitors will form a line and take turns going up to the casket and paying their respects. There will be a kneeler there if you'd like to kneel down to say a prayer. You do not have to kneel if you do not want to. Then you will go through the receiving line and give your condolences to the family. To each person you shake hands and say "I am sorry for your loss." You may introduce yourself to family members that you do not know well by saying something like "My name is Sam, I work with Ted. I am so sorry for your loss." That is all there is to it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• yup the wake is no different for catholics than for anyone else. Beckcorc described it perfectly. Sometimes it is not that formal and you can pay your respects when you see a chance (more like a free for all)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• We never do the receiving line, you'd end up standing there for 6 hrs. The only difference between the Catholic wakes in our family and the non are the outfit of the guy saying prayers at the end.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It is waaaaayyyyyy longer
    Anonymous

• I just assumed Catholics were the only ones to have a wake.

The other thing: the funeral service is in the Catholic church and there is mass. I assume that is really long as well??

thanks ladies!
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 12:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009