How do you manage autism?

Wow. It's only noon and it's been a terrible day. I had the bright idea to take Brandon, my autistic toddler, to an easter egg hunt that his cousin was going to. From the time we got there until the time we left it was all one huge fit. =(
How can I show him other kids are okay to be around? How can I teach him that people are not bad? How do I stop the fits? Tomorrow is Easter and I have a family dinner I have to go to where there will be kids he has only seen once. I have a feeling it's going to be a repeat of today. What in the world do you other moms do to to keep your sanity? Sorry for the rant...it's just been one of those days.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, for our son, we always take one of his toys that he really likes to play with with us so he has at least something he is used to. My son loves to look at magazines, so we usually try to keep several of them around. And sometimes there is just nothing we can do to keep him calm. And I have noticed that my son can always pick up on how I am feeling, so if I am anxious, he usually is too. Hope this helps.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers   I think this might be something you could consider to help your son.  Message me if you want more info.  There is also a business opportunity  with this. 

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 9:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• When out if my son starts to have a fit I sit and hold him and rock him because it calms him down. But to get him to the point where he doesn't need that, I just keep taking him out. Enough exposure and generally the anxiety lessens.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Poor thing! I remember those days... It is difficult at this age to help him deal with large groups/new situations. At this age, you mostly just have to expose him VERY slowly to situations like this, being prepared to leave as soon as it gets to be too much for him. Distracting him (as others mentioned) is a good idea too, to teach him to manage his anxiety/stress in undesirable situations. As he gets older, you can prepare him ahead of time to make things smoother. Even something as simple as explaining what to expect before you leave can make a difference.
    It will get better soon, as he gets older he will be able to handle more. Getting him used to being around other kids slowly (invite 1 or 2 kids over and just have them play in the same room) can help. Hang in there!!! Age 3 is generally when they start to chill out a bit... Just try to ingnore what other people might be thinking, they don't understand! :) Good luck
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 11:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2009