40 weeks 1 day... am I in labor?

I am 40 weeks 1 day pregnant with my first.

I was not dilated/effaced at all untill yesterday. (My due date) I was 1 1/2 cm. And he didnt say if I was effaced or not. But he went ahead and swept my membranes. I know this sometimes doesnt work. Regardless if he did or not, i still think id be in the same boat im in right now.

For the past 3 days ive been losing my mucous plug. Just big glops of it. As well as been having sharp shooting pains in my vagina. Today I was cleaning and felt this pain so i stopped and had to use the restoom anyways... So I went to use the restroom and tons more of my mucous plug came out. None had blood in it. Was just white and clear and very snotty like glops. Then I had diarrhea. Now im all crampy feeling... and every movement my baby makes just makes my vagina hurt cuz his head is pushing down so hard. My water of coarse has not broken yet.

Could I be starting labor soon/be in labor?

KadaG

Asked by KadaG at 2:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• can you feel your belly tighten.. contractions.. time them.. when your contractions are close then most likely its time to go I live 15 miles from my hospital left when contractions we 10 minutes apart. was only dialted 3 cm but they kept me.... my advice time contractions
    tall_mocha84

Answer by tall_mocha84 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Those are all symptoms of pre-labor (which occur any time from 2-4 weeks before delivery and sometimes just before delivery). If your discharge has any bit of a watery consistency to it, I'd call the doctor or go to L&D to get checked, you might be leaking fluid (I was and didn't even know I was in labor. I was in active labor for almost 12 hours before I realised what it was lol).

Like tall_mocha84 suggested, try to identify any contractions (if your water has not broken, or has just a small leak, the contractions might not hurt, they might just feel tight) and as soon as they are 5-6 min apart for 45-60 minutes, call the doctor and go in.

If I was a betting woman, I'd say you'll have a baby within the next 2-3 days.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• you can definately go into labor w out your water breaking. id call the doc and see what they say
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes. Be cautious from now on. Sounds to me like you're body is getting ready for labor.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009