My 4 year old.....

has been VERY needy and whiney lately. I mean wanting to sleep with me, not wanting me to step outside to use my cell phone, wanting me to lay down and watch TV with her, wanting me to stay in the bathroom with her while she bathes. Also, she is very whiney. She will be 5 in July, and hasn't been this needy/whiney for a WHILE. Any1 else been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went through this really bad with my daughter after having my son, but she also has just random moments of it. We will usually cuddle her for a little while but than we will explain to her that she is a big girl and she needs to act like a big girl and go play while we have adult time. As far as the bed thing, if she is used to sleeping alone than I wouldn't let her get in bed with you just tell her that she needs to sleep in her bed and there is nothing to be afraid of you will be there when she wakes up. If you want it to stop, you have to stand your ground and not entertain it. It is normal for kids to try to go back to a baby stage, just remind her of all the benifits of being a big girl and all the downfalls of being a baby.
    4Nalon

Answer by 4Nalon at 2:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I went through that with my son he will be 4 this month. I finally got him out of mad home ,with yelling and fighting all the time , To somewhere that was quiet . And he did a 100% change. I was having problems potty training him , and now it fully potty trained. There might be something that is upsetting her. But they all go through that . Just reasure her you aren't leaving here....
    Mandie2513

Answer by Mandie2513 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son will be 5 in August and is the same way! I do stay with him when he bathes, but I give him showers and he does need help. But all of a sudden he has to sleep in my bed, clings to me wherever we go, it's horrible! He starts flag football in July, so I'm hoping that that helps him out a lot. Good luck to you!
    williesmama1

Answer by williesmama1 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2009