Breastfeeding?

I DO NOT want to cause drama. :) But I was wondering (1) if you decided to breastfeed (2) when you quit if you have (3) why you quit and (4) if you didn't, why not. I know there are medical issues and other reasons that mothers have about why they can't or chose not to, but I'm really curious. I'm still BFing my 5 1/2 month old daughter, but she does get formula during the day as I work, and am not pumping enough to meet her demands anymore, so personally, I deal with both sides of the fence. Please, do not bash anyone else for their choice or answer- like I said I don't wanna stir up a ruckus :D

lissa_is_preggo

Asked by lissa_is_preggo at 2:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I BF our son until he was 7 months old. My 'plan' was to do it until he turned 1 but he weaned himself at 7 months. I was sad I couldn't do it any longer bc it was a special bonding time for us. I also liked that I was the only one who could feed him and it gave me a guarenteed 'break' it demanded me to sit down & relax for a bit. I plan on BF all our children just because its in my opinion healtier, easier (you don't have to get up and make a bottle @ 2am and washing the 'bottles' are easy lol scrub scrub in the shower and done), and more affordable
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 3:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have been a SAHM since my daughter was born, which made it a bit easier for me to long term breastfeed, I didn't have to deal with pumping and storing as much as I would have if I were at work. I just weaned my daughter this past October because with being pregnant with our second it was just too much for my body to keep up with, but it was no longer a nutritional issue being that my daughter was 2 1/2 at the time. I loved breastfeeding, I don't know how else to explain it, I didn't quit until we were both ready to quit. I hear that some babies will wean themselves, I hope that my son(due next month) will at least make it to his first b-day or longer if he wants.
    Anonymous

• I have breastfeed four kids.

first son about 9-10 mo, when he started to crawl he started pushing me away and I didn't know enought to really keep going.
    Second son about 8 mo, had to stop because my adrenal glands were not producing hormones at the right level and it cause some serious issues with my body and the doctors wanted to reducce as much stress from my body as possible till hy heart started acting normal again.
    My daughter I breastfeed till about 7 mo, but i was pregnant with my fourth and started having contractions that caused dialation. and since I have a history of going into preterm laobro at 32 weeks, we flet it was best to not risk it. But I had been pumping and storing since birth and had enought bm to last till about 11 mo.
    My fourth child, my son is a little over 9 mo and still breastfeeds about 6 times in a 24 hr period. I plan on going till I feel its time... but my goal is around 2 yrs.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I breastfed all of mine. I did until they were ready to quit. My oldest quit about a year or so, because I got pregnant. The second one didn't BF as long, and the third for even shorter time. My mom always told me to BF until we, the baby and I, were ready to stop.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• yes, I breastfeed. With my daughter I nursed her until she was 14 months old. I wanted too nurse longer but I was pregnant again so my supply dropped and she self weaned. I am nursing my son still, he's almost 11 months old. I hope to nurse him until he's 2 years old
    EricaG87

Answer by EricaG87 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I breastfed my oldest for 2 weeks. The doctor suggested supplementing without a medical reason (not that I knew better at the time) and within 2 weeks, she was FF'd. I hated myself every time I gave her a bottle.

My youngest is still breastfeeding at 18 months and we plan to continue until she is good and ready to stop.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• my son will be 1 on the 19th. we are still breastfeeding. due to him being off the growth chart, the dr. recommended I add formula to his diet around 7 months. he still nursed upon waking, randomly throughout the day and before bedtime, but I added 3 bottles of formula a day to his diet. these past few weeks he has been satisfied nursing once a day, sometimes not at all. we did just move and I think the stress of it caught up to him. I thought for a while we were done, but these past few days as we are now more settled in, he has wanted to nurse upon waking. so still only once a day, but I'm happy he's still getting something! I plan to let him self-wean and it is very apparent he is almost done. I am also in the process of weaning him off formula.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• (1) if you decided to breastfeed: YES, with both boys
    (2) when you quit if you have: I haven't quit
    (3) why you quit and: N/A
    (4) if you didn't, why not: I feel that forcing the baby/child to stop is not natural. He will stop on his own when he doesn't need it anymore. I have learned a lot more with my second and now want to go AT LEAST two years because of the health benefits. He will be 16 monthson the 20th of this month. I think my older son still (at 7) has some issues because I forced him to stop when he was down to only nursing at night just before he turned two. He wasn't ready and I realize that now.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 6:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I AM A 20 YEAR OLD MOM WHO PROUDLY BREASTFEEDS MY 5 1/2 MONTH SON I LOVE IT BECAUSE ITS A GREAT BOND IT GIVES ME A CHANCE TO GET AWAY WHEN I NEED TO AND ITS HEALTHY FOR NOT JUST MY SON BUT ME ALSO..ITS A GREAT FEELING AND I COUNTINE TO DO IT UNTIL HE IS READY TO QUIT
    angelsmommy1028

Answer by angelsmommy1028 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I breastfed both of my kids until they self-weaned. Both of them were almost 4 when they stopped nursing. I did not start out planning to self-wean, I just didn't see any reason to stop as long as my children were benefitting from it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2009