How do I start potty training?

My son will be 16 months old this month and he has started telling me that he's peepee his diaper. Also he has started to take his diaper off when he's wet. So I have got him a potty and would like to try to start the potty training but I'm not sure how to get things started. I talked to his doctor and she says that when he does go that I should not reward him with food. Really that wasn't that much help so for all you moms that are doing the potty training or have went throught it if you could give me some tips on it. I would really be thankful.

austinadamsmom

Asked by austinadamsmom at 3:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I suggest you take him to the potty first thing in the morning. Let him know he should potty there & praise him when he does. If he doesn't have to go first thing in the morning let him get off the potty after a few minutes, praise him for trying & tell him to let you know when he does have to go so he can pee or poo in the potty then. Ask him regularly if he has to go & encourage him to try every few hours. Make it a casual, positive thing. When he goes in his diaper just pleasantly say something like "next time you have to go remember to tell me so you can use the big boy potty". It is really just an issue of getting him used to the idea & since you are starting before he gets old enough to get set in his ways he probably won't ever see it as a big issue.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Put him on the potty when your in the bathroom in the morning burshing your teeth or hair. Let him sit there and talk to him about pottying while your getting ready. Any time you gotta go, take kiddo with you, put him on his and use yours. Don't make it a big deal and just praise him for trying.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:00 PM on Apr. 11, 2009