MY KIDS GET INTO EVERYTHING ... DOES ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM ???

I have a 3 year old, and an 18 month old... together they can do the unspeakable. Now Everymorning I wake up to them doing something that they are not supposed to be doing ... I am getting tired of cleaning these impossible messes ... Locking everything and I MEAN EVERYTHING up has been my only option... I woke up this morning and they had Vaseline in their HAIR ... I was like OMG and now i have bathed them multiple times and i cant get this stuff out... This is the creative part I had it locked in this chest i can only open with a key... they were smart enough to open it with my keys i had in my purse... Every time i try to baby proof anything they figure it out ???

h_hoenicke

Asked by h_hoenicke at 3:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• The whole "START DISCIPLINING" thing I find annoying because I could discipline my DS from sunup to sundown and it wouldn't change a thing! Not to say you shouldn't try this, but some kids don't respond well to discipline..but when they're really young mostly what you have to do is redirect them, and find ways to engage them that will keep them out of mischief. If they're bored, exploring things is a way they find to entertain themselves, but also some kids just don't have impulse control. Be firm, and consistent, and hopefully they will eventually learn!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• put one of those child locks on the inside of their door (those things you put over the door knob that has to have a lot of pressure to be opened) that way they can't just open the door and make a run for it while you are sleeping, i would probably put a gate in front of the door too if they are that creative, that way you hear the gate crash when they break out. and i would probably take all my daughters toys and stuff out of her room and tell her that until she can stay out of mommy's stuff she doesn't get to play with her own stuff unless she is downstairs where you can watch her. as for the vaseline, put baby powder in their hair, comb it throw, then add some more and comb that through too. you'll have to wash their hair two or three times but it will make the vaseline more of a paste and most of it should be absorbed by the baby powder (my daughter put awhole bottle of victorias secret lotion in her hair once, powder work
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Are they boys LOL, I know just what you mean, my son is 7 and still amazes me with the things he can find and get into... I have had to call the fire dept once, and poision control twice and not for typical posions, oh and he set the microwave on fire at his grandparents house a few days ago..he wakes up in the middle of the night to get something to eat sometimes, well this time he was warming up an Arby's sandwich still in the foil wrapper, ya know tin foil and the microwave does not mix....
    Anonymous

• We have a security system installed, not to warn us when someone tries to break in, we got it to warn us when they try to escape. Yes we added a new latch to the very top of the door but it doesn't stop my two, they will take a chair over to the door. I know just what you mean
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes my GRRLS!! LOL have what I call *nosy fingers* especially my oldest. For a long time I had to keep their rooms locked for thei safety- I work second shift and wouldn't always hear tem up and about. Then the oldest learned how to open her window and climb out. AAAHHHHH we have almost conquered the problem, I hate to tell you though that mine are now 7 and 5 yo!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• No, I smack his hand as soon as he gets into something. He's not allowed in the bathroom to play or our bedroom, or the kitchen without a parent in there. He poured powder all over the living room, only once.
    Anonymous

• Stop "babyproofing" and start disciplining.
    Anonymous

• My 4yo dd is into everything these days she is always climbing on the bathroom sink getting into my perfume jewlry and makeup
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i know what u r going through mt three year old and 14 month old are the same way. i have the house cleaned and less than 5 minutes after i clean it its a mess again. I just think its normal, but tiring.
    donna1972

Answer by donna1972 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i know what you are going through. i think that is the specific reason the whole 'child-proofing' thing came into existence. invest in some baby gates, put things UP HIGH, lock drawers, cabinets, whatever you have to. it keeps them safe and you sane and your house whole.
    ilovenapping

Answer by ilovenapping at 9:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2009