I think i just found out I have Social Anxiety Disorder !!!!!

For as long as I could remember I've never been very good in social situations. What seems so easy for others has been hell for me It effects everything in my life . When I meet new people or talking to a stranger my nerves start to work up . I start shaking then I start to worry maybe they think I'm strange or weird maybe stupid . I usually hide from social situations because I don't want to deal with the shame of people know that something wrong with me. I feel like my boyfriend hates me he thinks I'm crazy and I just want to not have friends and meet people. Thats not the case I love people!!! I want lots!! of friends I want to live a happy life But how do I get over This ???????. Is anybody going through this or have gone through this? what were your first steps to change ? What helped you? please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• There are really great self help books out there. Go to your book store today and look at some on social anxiety disorder, knowledge truly is power! Cause if you educate yourself about it and read, you'll strengthen your understanding making youself strong and not being one of the millions just relying on medicines instead of their own inner strength. One of the things I read about it is you have to get over the fact that not everything is about you. A lot of people suffering from social anxiety worry about themselves constantly. GL to you.
    Anonymous

• Psychologists and drugs...or, you can "just do it."

I don't think you "get over" SAD (I have it too), but you can function in social situations if you try.
    For me, I've always just looked at social interaction as something I have to do. It can't be avoided; I don't have a choice. I just do it...and fake everything.
    The more I do it, the more tolerant I become.
    Anonymous

• I have it too, but it's been getting better for me lately. I used to have panic attacks all the time at work because I have to deal with so many people. One day I just decided that I wasn't going to let it define who I was anymore and that I was going to work on making it better. I agree that social interaction is something you have to do, and the more you do it the more tolerant you'll be.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like me. I have to force myself to do things in a social setting. I also have Xanax to help with the anxiety and that helps to take the edge off. I would really rather stay home than be in a crowded place. I panic in overly crowded places and am constantly worried of losing my kid and he is almost 13 yrs old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009