Cost of Adoption?

I am curious as to why it costs so much to adopt an infant from an agency. They don't pay the mother, I know it is against the law. Medicaid normally covers the medical bills so, is the agent/agency collecting all of this money in profits? People have paid 10s of thousands of dollars for these babies but, where is the money going? I am mainly talking about Domestic Infant Adoption. I don't want adoption bashers I just want facts or your opinion on where the money goes.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 3:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Adoption

• With our agency, all but the big placement payment ($14K) was broken down so we knew exactly how much was going for what and everything was reasonably priced (for instance...counseling for BMom was $70/hour). Contrary to what many believe, I still hold to the fact that the adoption expenses pay for salaries, leases, bills...just general overhead. Yes, there's a profit. These people are performing a service, one that adoptive parents pay for, so why wouldn't it be treated as a business in that way? There's a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that people who aren't personally involved in just don't know about.

And in our case, the agency did not pay a dime to the BMom before, during, or after birth. Nor did they pay any of BMom’s or DD’s medical expenses…we did. And no, she did not have Medicaid, she had a crappy 70/30 insurance.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I know there are lawyer involved and those fees can be hefty. I have a friend who has adopted and I never directly asked how much it cost her, but I know she hinted at around 30,000. I think we also have to take into consideration that adoption agency are for-profit, so it makes sense that they make a good deal of money. My optometrist also adopted through an agency and he said something about money going to the mother to pay her living expenses while pregnant, so I'm not entirely sure. My SIL is adopted by I think that was through the state, and it was about 30 years ago.
    Anonymous

• Most agencies are going to say that the cost of advertising. Meaning they advertise in all 50 states, but only operate in 1 or a few states. So they get alot of expectant mothers who call.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 3:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have always wondered the same thing. I can understand international adoptions costing some money. When we adopted our babies for free from the foster care system there was a woman at my husband's work who'd just adopted domestically to the tune of $25,000. I just don't understand why it would cost that much.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It most definitely goes into profit for the agencies and/or lawyers involved in adoption. Domestic infant adoption is a huge money maker with billions of dollars of profit brought in every year. Even with those that claim to be non-profit agencies, if you check the incomes of their executive officers, they are taking home salaries from $200,000 to $300,000.
    And to say it goes to bmom expenses is misleading. My son's aparents did not pay a penny for ANY of my expenses, including any and all medical bills for myself or my son and yet, twenty-one years ago, they still paid $15,000 for his adoption because he was a healthy white, infant boy, which made him a huge money earner for the adoption industry.
    Sadly, infant adoption is mainly about profit.
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 7:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It's because they can. They have a whole lot of people who are so desparate to get a baby that they'll pay whatever it takes. The money would be better going to the birthmom to provide her with a better life. Sad if you ask me.
    Anonymous

•               Same question I have been asking myself and others!! It's really sad and frustrating!!!
    Those outrageous adoption fees are mainly profit for the agencies and HUGE obstacles for the prospective adoptive parents.
    Why we must to spend so much money in order to provide a loving/caring home to a baby/child, who's already in need (cases may vary)!??! Instead of using that money in providing a great life to the child?!? Pretty discouraging!!
    I rather help the expectant mom directly and the legal fees and not work with an Adoption Agency at all. Anyway, I still hope for a miracle!!
    bow down

mysa

Answer by mysa at 12:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I didnt see one dime for living expenses. I was on medicaid. Soooo, I guess some must have made a heafty downpayment on a summer home with the adoption of my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• See Anonymous answer @ 1:39am on 4/12...

I didnt see one dime for living expenses. I was on medicaid. Soooo, I guess some must have made a heafty downpayment on a summer home with the adoption of my baby.

How sad for a birthmom to feel that way. Disgusting if you ask me...
    Anonymous

• Why do birth mom's go through agencies then? All that is being accomplished is money taken from adoptive parents that could be going to your child's future! No one likes it, but it a vicious cycle that will continue until birth mom's seek out adoptive parents on their own.
    Anonymous