Why do doctors use pitocin if your water already broke on its own and you seem to be going into labor already??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• not everyone goes in too contractions when their water brakes so too help the contractions come on they use the pitocin
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 3:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Because they're jerks. >=/

Some doctors think it's best to give a mother pitocin even though she's already in labor because they don't want to risk the labor slowing or stalling and making labor any longer than they want it to be.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 3:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Because they have a "clock" that they go by and if you aren't laboring on their time then they give pitocin to speed things up.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• its not healthy for the baby to remain in utero when the water bursts... therefore if you aren't progressing they might give pitocin to help move things along for the health of the baby
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 4:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• zata, where did you read that lol.. it's perfectly healthy provided you don't lose all your amniotic fluid in one gush, which is rare.. also, you constantly replenish amniotic fluid so with a leak there is zero need to add pitocin..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• celticreverie, if you read zata's post she uses the phrase "when the water bursts", & in that case it is no longer just a leak & will be unhealthy for baby to stay in much longer. however, you are correct in saying that if there is a leak you'll be fine (in MOST cases, NOT all)...but if it bursts you arent in the safe zone. also, it cant be that rare considering all 12 women in my family that have had children already (on both my side, & my husbands) have burst in all their pregnancies. in the case that your loss of amniotic fluid is quick & your baby needs out, sometimes using a method (whether it be walking or if its bad enough pitocin) is best for the health of baby.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• thank you wannabemommy87! :)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• They do it for 2 reasons, they have a clock and if you aren't progressing like they want then they try to speed it up. Also once something is inserted vaginally (like fingers to check dilation) then the risk of infection is too great for them to let labor to go longer then 24 hours after the water has broke. That is why my midwife told me to stay home as long as possible and not come into the hopsital after my water broke. I labored at home for several hours and showed up already in transition and went from 7 cm when I got there to 10 cm in about 30 minutes.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• They started me on Pitocin before my water broke...they broke it themselves about 3-4 hours after starting pitocin
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• they did that with me because i wasn't having contractions after my water broke.. i was just sitting in the delivery room for a while. i think they didn't want me to run out of amniotic fluid before the baby could get out.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 6:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2009