Waterbirth?

Would you prefer waterbirth to traditional birth? Is there anywhere in Jacksonville, NC that I can have a waterbirth?

KristinPaige

Asked by KristinPaige at 3:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hospitals do not generally allow water births. They will allow you to labor in water, however. But most of them have regulations against birthing in the water. There are birth centers, however, with midwives in NC that do water births like this one

http://www.ncbirthcenter.com/
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 4:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• YOu can have it at home in your bathtub.
    Anonymous

• I know about *home* waterbirthing, I'd much rather be in a hospital.
    KristinPaige

Answer by KristinPaige at 3:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I WOULD TOTALLY PERFER A WATER BIRTH!!!!! I WANT ONE SO BAD, BUT IM NOT GOING TO DO IT CAUSE IM TOO SCARED AND LIKE YOU SAID WANT IT DONE IN A HOSPITAL BUT THEY ONES AROUND HERE DONT DO IT EITHER. I WOULD BE TO SCARED AT HOME. YOU CAN CALL AROUND THE HOSPITALS THAT IS WHAT I DID, I DIDNT HAVE LUCK BUT MAYBE YOU WILL, ITS WORTH A SHOT
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• you can go to waterbirth.org they have pools and everything
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Hospitals rarely allow waterbirths. Some do, but it's really not common. You could find a birth center if the idea of home isn't comforting. Why would you prefer a hospital? For a low risk pregnancy they are not safer. In fact, the risk of unnecessary interventions, cesareans, tearing, etc is a lot higher in a hospital setting.

Water birth would be amazing. I am not having one, it's just not for me, but I have never seen a waterbirth that wasn't absolutely beautiful and amazing! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• N where around here does actual tub births, but youare allowed to labor in the shower (depending on your MW or OB) and that was wonderful for me with my first. The second I wnet way too quick and didn't have time to get in the shower at the hospital, but I was in the hot tub at home before going to the hospital. The hospitals here used to allow water births, but there wasn't enough demand so they got rid of the tubs. Try a birth center with a midwife if you can find one nearby. Just walking in the door of a hospital increases your risk of intervention by 30% for a normal, healthy, low risk pregnancy. Dh would not hear of home birthing, ,but I stayed at home as long as possible and delivered with a wonderful midwife in the hospital.
    Anonymous