Does anyone have any fun suggestions for motivating kids to keep up with their chores?

I am looking to introduce a reward system for my 8 year old son but want to do something fun. We've tried star charts and magnetic chore charts before. They work for the first week, then my son quickly loses interest. Does any one have any suggestions on fun ideas for chores? Something that the kids can do online would be great.

ppickles

Asked by ppickles at 4:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• there is a great web site. www.handipoints.com
    You set the point values for chores. And After the earn points they can play games and all sorts of stuff. We just started about a month ago. My kids love it and their chores are done everyday without a fight
    LadybugsMonkeys

Answer by LadybugsMonkeys at 5:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Does your son like money? Offer him 10 cents a chore...5 chores in one day would be 50 cents. Put it in a jar where he can see it and tell him when he earns enough money he can take it to the dollar store. My kids would LOVE this idea but I've got them doing chores right now without a fight. I'm not introducing it until I have to, haha.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Our kids are expected to do their chores. Period. The reward is they don't lose privileges by doing what is expected of them as part of the family.
    Anonymous

• Don't let them get online if they don't do their chores. Set up the time you want it done by and tell them for each one that is complete they get so much time online or on a video game and if they don't they loose their privileges for that day and they still have to do the chores.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I've learned that with my oldest son, he likes to argue for the sake of arguing. I respect that it's a personality trait, he has to learn to respect the fact that he has obligations. I created a schedule. He's five, and he has about half a dozen chores to do, so I time them out for him. We'll look at the schedule and see that at 8am, he has to feed the cats, so I'll remind him after breakfast, and then at 8, it's not up to me, it's not up to him, he has no one to argue with, because you can't negotiate with a piece of paper. I've also started using a timer. Bed time is at 8, so at 7:30, it's time to pick up toys. It's on the schedule, and I set the timer for 15 minutes. My three year old even loves the concept, but it works especially well with my five year old. They also have reward charts on the refrigerator to accompany the schedule. Instead of money, they get a "prize" at the end of the week, depending on their charts.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 3:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• There are some great books for kids about chores and also for parents which might help. Money is a motivator (also a good way to teach about saving etc.). Some chores could be paid and some are required as being part of the family. Those which are paid don't get paid when not done, those which are required have consequences when they don't get done. Then be consistent with each. Check out the books/supplies for chores and teaching responsibility and also the money link  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Actually this helped me ttoo. Thanks poster!
    ttm_mommy

Answer by ttm_mommy at 2:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009