Teeth and Breastfeeding

My almost 9 month old just got his top 2 teeth in and it's really starting to hurt when he eats. It wasn't a problem with just his bottom 2 (probably his tounge covered them). While he does bite sometimes, this isn't the same thing... this is more like rubbing and it hurts! They don't have any sores on them yet... but I can imagine they might soon if I keep up like this.
I've tried taking him off and having him relatch, but it doesn't help. And I've been trying to do other positions so it's not always the same spot.

Anything I can do?

AmiJanell

Asked by AmiJanell at 4:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some good info on this at kellymom.com, here is some:
    *Teeth scraping, uncomfortable latch, or indentations on your nipple tissue from the teeth is not all that uncommon. It seems to be worse for most moms right when the teeth first cut through, and before they have a chance to wear down some and become less sharp
    *With an older baby, the weight of the baby can cause baby's mouth and teeth to "drag down" on the breast tissue. See if you can position baby so that her weight is supported well. Use pillows or a chair with arm rests to support her as much as you can.
    *Latch baby on and position her head so that it is tilted back more to get the pressure of the top teeth off your breast.
    *When you support your breast with 2-4 fingers underneath and thumb on top, push in against the chest wall with your index finger just before offering the breast. This will cause the nipple and areola to point down more, so that they don't rub
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• ooh thank you! I didn't think to look on Kellymom... I look there for everything else LOL
    I'm for sure going to try some of those the next time he eats and see if it helps
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009