Is there something I can do to help him sleep through?

He's 5 and a half months and we're not feeding at night anymore. trying to let him self soothe to go back to sleep. some nights he does great with this....others he still wakes up around the times he's used to eating....but he won't/can't go back to sleep unless he sucks on his paci for like three seconds. problem is, he HATES his paci and can't/won't keep it in his mouth long enough to go back to sleep. Is there something I can do to help him sleep the whole night through? I know it's something that will get better as we go on, just didn't know if I could make it easier on him. He's on a great schedule. Goes to bed at 9, doesn't usually officially get up till somewhere between 8am and 9am. That is if he sleeps through, which has only happened like four times. We let him sleep with baby lullaby music and a sound spa that plays cricket and other noises.....any suggestions? Thanks!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• so you dont feed in the middle of the night but he sleep from about 9pm to about 8-9 am.. so he doesnt get to eat for 12 hours? thats horrible. feed the baby when its that long. if he wkes up he needs to eat sometimes. hes a little baby!!!!

WOW!!
    Anonymous

• Feed him when he wakes up, Stop being lazy
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anonymous. I wouldn't let a baby that little go 12 hours without eating. Especially if he wakes up, feed him! That's too young to not feed for that long...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• okay i agreed with first anonymous not second ...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• ok, my son is not mistreated in any way. back up off of your high horses please. He's at an age where he SHOULD be able to sleep through the night. If he's hungry, I DO feed him. But if it's just a reaction to being used to getting up at a certain time, then no, I am not going to feed him. Laziness has nothing to do with this. I have no problem getting up at any point in the night to take care of my baby. Like I said in my statement above, he's on a good schedule and he's happy all the time. I don't even have to coax him to bed, he knows when he's tired and lays himself down. And if you guys actually read any of my note, it said that he's only made it through the night like that maybe three or four times. Thanks for not answering my question at all ladies. Why do any of us even bother with this site? Any time someone has a question, they just get judged and not helped!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Only time will be able to help him sleep through the night. He is still so young and he probably is hungry at night..My son is 8 months old and still has to eat at night...He will STTN when he is older...BTW..the TRUE definition of STTN is 5 continuous hours of sleep...so if he does that than technically he does STTN.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 5:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would feed him. My son is 9 months and still wakes to eat at night. 12 hours is a very long time to go without eating... unless he chooses for himself to not wake to eat then he should be fed... he's too young to go that long.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• From the way your question is phrased, it sounds like you aren't letting him eat when he's used to. Maybe let him eat once half way through the night when he wakes up. The way you are saying he doesn't take his pacifier, my little one does that, it's because he's hungry. In the middle of the night after he eats, he burps and I give him his pacifier..he takes it right away and falls asleep. The other moms are just concerned because no baby should go 12 hours with no food. If you are feeding him within that 12 hour period then no worries :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• The medical definition of sleeping through the night is 6 hours, it sounds like you are expecting him to be able to go closer to 12 hours. Eating once during that 12hr time may be what he needs. I would say that MOST 5 months olds do not go through a 12 hour stretch at night w/o eating.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think he may still need to be fed during the night. There is no age when a baby should be expected to sleep through the night without eating. Sometimes my 10 month old still wakes up to eat. Heck sometimes my 2 y/o still wakes up during the night needing something to drink because his tummy is empty and hurts him.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 6:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009