I need help a friend has me all scared because I had to take my 15 month old on the 9th for a heart test and they at first told me that the EKG showed the heart was thicker than it should be they said they wanted to do a ultrasound on her to make sure but that it was probably nothing

she said she was telling her mom about my DD and her mom told her I should get a second apinion because she said that her mom told her when she was little that she had a friend that was about 3 or 4 and she was doing the same things as my DD was doing and that she had heart tests done and that they also told her that her heart was thicker than should be then also told her it was nothing so this 3 or 4 year old ended up dieing. So now I am scared. What should I do? And what does it mean if your heart is to thick? Does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i would get a second opinion. its not a second opinion on a cold, it is a second opinion on the state of your daughters heart, even with out the friends mom knowing someone that something like that happened to, if it was that serious i would want a second opinion just so that i would know i went to all the resources i could to make sure my daughter was ok. it doesn't mean you don't trust your doctor, it means you are making sure your daughter is healthy
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i dont know what it means but i wouldnt freak out but i would get a second opinion....
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Do you have any reason to not trust your doctor? If you don't trust your doctor, then yes, get a second opinion. But just because something happened to your friends, mom's baby, doesn't mean it will happen to your daughter.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• it is not my doctor it is a guy at the heart center that she sent me to at the hospital. And it isn't her baby it is achually my friends childhood friend when she was little her mom was telling her about it
    Anonymous

• If you want info. about the thickening wall of the heart, you could do your search at www.medlineplus.com. My local children's hospital lets the parents of all of their patients know about it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3023534
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Tell your friend to mind her own business, she doesn't have a medical degree does she? Wait and have the ultrasound done and talk to the doctor. If you are still concerend get a referral to a pediatric heart specialist for a second opinion. Take it all one step and one day at a time. Best of luck to you and your baby.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion if you have reason to doubt your current doc. But if they are doing extra test to rule out any other issues, then you'll learn more at that appointment. Definately ask as many questions as you can at the next appointment. My dd had to go to carrdiologist for a heart murmur. Doc was very upfront about what it could be and what he though before going and they had lots of info after all the tests.

Question: did you friend know for sure that the child died as a direct result of the heart issue? Or was it that the heart issue was diagnosed then the child die and the assumption is being made that the heart thing was a factor?
    Anonymous

• She says that is what her mom told here the reason she died.
    Anonymous

• Do the ultrasound first. It's quick and painless. See what it says. And remember that medical knowledge is always changing...
    In the past, it was common to NOT tell parents if something was very wrong and untreatable. This is a large no-no for doctors but that may be what happened to your mom's friend.
    Things that were not treatable just 10 years ago (not to mention 20 or 30 years ago) are easily treated now. See what they say.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009