My teeth are rotting and I'm scared to go to the dentist. Help.

Everybody always says they are so jealous of my teeth, they look perfect white and straight from the front,
but what they can't see is that 2 of my molars have rotted off so much that they are just stubs, and my two other molars have huge gaping cavities.

I have been to the dentist twice since it because my responsibility to take myself (after I moved out of my parents house), and each time was a bad experience,

the first time the dentist was so rude and rough with my neck (yeah, he was a baaad dentist) that I was scared to go again.
Then when I plucked up the courage (about 4 years ago) the next dentist I went to (different practice) did a REALLY bad job on my teeth.

I can't find the courage to go sort my teeth out, and everyone else seems to have monthly/yearly check ups and be fine.

I feel so alone on this subject, because everyone just says "Just go to the dentist", but I am terrified..
Am I the only one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• no, trust me I hate going to the dentist. I have to go get 4 wisdom teeth pulled and two in the back that are rotted and I am freaking out.
    Anonymous

• When you make an appointment with the dentist, explain to the receptionist your past experiences. They will do everything they can to fix that for you.

You have 2 choices here...live the rest of your life with rotting, painful teeth, or go get them fixed and be healthy! I'd chose the latter. A good dentist will not hurt you! Ask for some referrals from people you know in your area.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I understand your fears but you really do need to go to the dentist and let me tell you why. Having your teeth "rotting" in your mouth causes infection which goes directly into your bloodstream which can go directly to your heart and cause an infection in the lining of your heart. I would think having a life threatening infection is WAY worse than your fears about your teeth. Take care of this ASAP!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Get references on a good dentist from friends and family. You really need dental work. As much as I wish it were so, mouths don't fix themselves.

Look at it this way - at least you can afford it. You have the chance to get your teeth fixed, whether you choose to or not.
    I don't. Nor do thousands of other people.
    Take advantage.
    Anonymous

• I admit I've been avoidng it, but only because the BILL scares me. Dental work doesn't alarm me at all. And I know I have one cavity on a molar.

As frightening as it is for you...steel up the courage to go. Tooth nfections and abcesses can KILL. I think death is a bit scarier, don't you?

Answer by gdiamante at 5:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I know how you feel, I had ALL my teeth taken out a week ago... and I had a phobia of dentists!
    I knew I would panic so I had my doctor call in a few Klonopin pills. I took that before I left (because I WAS panicking) and about twenty minutes later I was fine and was able to have the work done even though my mouth would NOT numb. It calmed me down and I still was aware of everything happening to me. Trust me, if you have a phobia or bad fear, that's the way to go.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009