My son has ADD and is having so many problems in middle school and I not sure wether to increase his meds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is something triggering them? Larger class sizes, noisy kids, music in the background? Is there something the teacher can do to help?

I would talk to the doctor about it but I don't think I'd increase meds. Do you have charter schools in the area? Can you homeschool?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would talk to him, to his teacher, and to his dr. Sometimes it's a matter of the meds not working/not working enough, but sometimes, what seems to be uncontrollable symptoms is actually the result of something else. Both of my boys have adhd, and both ended up having to be on meds, but I have yet to increase for either of them, and did have an instance where it seemed I might have to. But, after talking to my son's teacher, I found out that he was really stressed b/c he was struggling with math, and his stress reaction was very, very similar to his adhd symptoms. Also, sometimes it may feel like his symptoms are out of control, but if you keep a record for a few days/weeks, you may find it's not as bad as you think. Talk to him first, see what he can tell you about how he feels, what's going on, etc. Talk to the teacher(s) and see what they think, and then ask the dr for advice on what to do. Maybe just some behavior changes
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My grandson in middle school is having major problems with Math and says he doesn't think he needs to turn in his homework. BUT he is not on any meds and I would have a fit if they thought he needs meds. He was in the Gifted and Talented group in elementary school and now he is being "difficult". Maybe there are too many kids diagnosed and put on meds when they don't have to be.I would rather not drug my kids and certainly not my grandchildren. I believe difficulties in school are behavioral issues, not attention deficit issues. Parents need to moniotor kids' homework, make sure they are actually learning in school and limit their social life /time on the computer,time watching TV. If they don't want to learn, teachers and parents have to step in and try to encourage kids.
    Anonymous

• Talk to the doctor. My son is in middle school and on Vyvanse, due to puberty the meds don't always work. His hormones are going goofy. My sons doc told me that they wouldn't always work during puberty. Ask the doc to TRY a higher dose for a month and see what happens, you can always go back to the lower dose. Talk to his teachers about what they can do to help him. My son has an ADEP (Attention Deficit Education Plan) in place at school. It details what the teachers/school and what my son need to do. It is federally mandated. My son gets extra pushes from his teachers, is in a special group to learn organization skills from his counselor, sits with the dean of students during Advisory when he gets behind in his work. Sometime meds are what is needed. I never wanted to medicate my son but it has made a HUGE difference. From failing to making honor roll.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'd explore several things first--sleep, learning disabilities, diet, and other medical causes. ADD doesn't "just happen." There's always a cause, and if you don't treat the CAUSE, the "ADD" doesn't get better. It's a symptom telling you something isn't right.
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Have you looked into changing the way your family eats? www.feingold.org can really help you discover foods that may be affecting your son's behavior. The primary rule of thumb is to not eat any foods with ingredients that your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize. Also, try fish oil; it can take up to six weeks to be effective, but it made a world of difference with my daughter. Finally, I would suggest that you find a therapist that works with children like yours who can teach your son how to work with his ADD; it can be an advantage! Thom Hartmann, a nationally syndicated radio host, has written amazing books on how to succeed with ADD; check your local library for "Attention Deficit Disorder : A Different Perception"

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Maybe you should change schools......
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Our oldest son was a great student but we always knew that he wasn't like his peers. Even in kindergarden. His teacher would say " he is so sweet" but she even noticed he wasn't the same. He was always polite and never a problem. He just couldn't GET IT. In 3rd grade we stared the behavior managment charts so he could stay on task. No help. After being diagnosed ADHD we tried all the meds. Then finally, I took him off all the meds. and went to the Dr. Kizalbosh for an evaluation. why didn't anyone tell us we could sooner? He was evaluated for several hours and we diagnosed with Inatentive ADD. He would have a hard time raclling things, couldn't write a correct paragraph ect. but he was a wiz at math, spelling, charts,and graphs. He could recall anything about the Titanic but he could't put it on paper. So Dr. K sad to color code all his subjects,(math everythingblue, science red ect.) to give him shorter work -
    queennut5

Answer by queennut5 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• perios with more breaks in between. Have him give an oral answer or an oral report if that is easier for him. Give him extra time on tests and a quiet room. Your son has rights and even though it isn't easy ,teachers can go a long way to help and the school has a responsability to your son. So PLEASE try everything possible before the meds. are upped. We are not all the same and that's ok. I know that it's easier if they (kids) all go in the same direction but that just isn't the way it always goes. Our son is now happy, married and has a 5month old daughter. It doen't matter how we get there!!
    queennut5

Answer by queennut5 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Increasing meds is more of a doctor decision, BUT I would have to agree with LIZARD66 and rkoloms. Have you done any research into ADD and medication and food allergies? I personally don't agree with medicating children... my choice of course... and I know from my own experience that sometimes unnecessary meds can actually aggravate the condition they're supposed to be treating.

I would really encourage you to research this before you make any decision on changing your son's meds. Environment can play a huge role as well. Research research research!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 10:54 AM on Apr. 14, 2009