should i start potty training my 16 mnth?

my cousins told me her daughter was potty trained when she started walking. She told me i was going to make my daughter slow if i didn't start NOW! my daughter started walking at 13 mnths i was waiting untill she was two. is that bad? Is my cousin right?

MeanJean206

Asked by MeanJean206 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well your cousin is full of BS. Not every child is the same. I wouldn't potty train unless they are giving signs like telling you when they have gone poo or pee, taking the diaper off or bringing 1 to to you and staying dry through the night.

Anonymous

• No she is not right! Every child developes at a different age with this and she is a VERY LUCKY WOMAN if her baby was indeed 13 months old and fully potty trained! She must be a baby genius!

It's not worth the frustration for you or your child to start so early. My daughter started potty training successfully (first pee on the potty and continued doing it day after day) when she was 2 years 6 mons old...and that was early for me! I have two boys and they weren't trained til 3.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• No you are not making your DD slow by not potty training yet, ages 2-3 is the typical age, IF your cousin had her child PT at that age , good for her, but dont pressure your DD until she is ready. I have 3 children, the oldest two were easy to PT,however, my son was almost 5 before he was PT and yeah his IQ is 125.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• midnightmoma...how do you know your child's IQ? Did you actually have him tested someplace or is it something you can do at home? Just curious...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• No I took him to a deveolpmental ped. for testing, they thought he might be autistic.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Ahh ok.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Our son didn't even start potty training until about 2 months after his second birthday. He had the potty and we set it up in the bathroom, and we he showed an interest in it, we started him. We were done really quickly though, so he was completely done with diapers by the time he was 2 1/2. If you start too young, the child will rebel and make it harder. It is best, IMO, to wait until your child acts ready to learn.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• When she starts showing signs she's ready, and you are ready to commit to it, then it's time. My daughter was fully potty-trained and accident free at 18 months. However, my son wasn't until the day of his third birthday. He just announced, "I'm going to use the potty now." He started wearing underwear and never had any accidents. It was weird.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son is 20 mon old and I'm waiting. Every kid is different just watch for the signs and you know their ready. I'm waiting till about 2 or so then I'll battle that. Take your time....you know your kid!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 11:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son was fully potty trained at 20 months. It took about two weeks of accidents before all was said and done. We knew he was ready when he started resisting the changing table, so I said he could go without diapers if he used the potty and he did. Considering how painless it was we probably could have trained him at 16 months, just be realistic about helping the child take off his/her pants and wash hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2009