quitting smoking during pregnancy

what is the easiest way without hurting the baby?? i was told i couldnt stop cold turkey from 2packs a day or else my body would put too much strain on baby and cause miscarriage, but now that i've cut down for awhile i want to quit. its been about 24hrs since my last cigarette and i have a pounding headache, the shakes, hot and cold sweats, etc even though i was already down to only 6 or so a day! please, what is the best way?? i dont want to kill my baby but with the raised price of smokes and the dirty words everyone keeps saying about me smoking is really driving me nuts and i just want to stop! anyone???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Cut back as far as you can. You CANNOT quit all at once. The shock to your system is a huge risk. If you can cut back gradually, maybe down to 2 a day in about 4 weeks, you will be doing better than a lot of other women out there!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I wish I could help but I couldn't do it. I cut myself way down and did the best I could. Ignore people who make rude comments to you. That is my only piece of advice.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i'm with the previous post, i couldn't do it either, i cut down to two a day sometimes none depending on how my day went. honestly i only smoked in my back yard! that way no one could say anything b/c that really just makes it worse and people don't realize that when they say things like that it makes you want a cigg even more. i will say if you haven't had one in 24 hours give it a shot, you won't be quiting cold turkey if you've only cut down to a few a day, and that just might work for you. i know some people who started out with a 2 pack a day habit got down to 4-8 a day and were able to go cold turkey. good luck
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• See I was smoking half a pack a day. So really it wasn't that much. I JUST gave up smoking completely March 10th of 09. I cut myself down to 5 a day, then I just got so sick of smoking that everytime I literally lit up a smoke I would gag.. I would almost vomit. It was so gross to me. I guess that it has to be something YOU really want to do... With my first child I couldn't give up the habbit.. it was too hard for me.. But now that I quit; it is something I have to struggle with everytime I go through something stressful.. I really honestly wish you the best of luck, and hope you can cut down at least! =)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i couldnt do it with my 2nd pregnancy or my 3rd but with my 4th it was weird- it was like smoke was one of my morning sickness triggers so i just stopped- but i started again a few months after the birth and now with this one thats how i sensed i was pregnant because everytime i lit up i got nauseous- i wish i could help u more but i really cant explain how i did it either- but as long as u have cut down i think u and ur baby will be fine sure its not the healthiest of habits but ive heard of babies pulling through even nastier addictions such as moms on crack and on heroin- ignore rude comments and know that u have done ur best and know that uve done a great job from cutting down from 2 packs a day to a quarter of a pack a day- so good luck in ur efforts and congrats on ur pregnancy
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'm 7 months pregnant, and I couldn't quit , I just cut back, like you I smoked over a pack a day, now I'm down to 4-6 a day depending on how my day goes.
    I say screw the rude comments! Do what you can..no one is perfect, and like a previous poster said there are worse "habits" you could be trying to kick while pregnant.
    I wouldn't quit cold turkey, it puts your body into shock/withdrawl and consequently your baby into shock and withdrawl, thats how my ob explained it to me anyways.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 8:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If you are down to six a day and you are ready to quit, then do so. If you aren't then be happy that you have made it as far as you have.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i couldnt get below 5 a day w my 1st and 2nd..but w this one i got nasea and ive some how magically been able to cut down to 1 a day..and that wasnt till i was like 6 months preggo. i just did it..dont know how..oh, maybe the fact that i wasnt smoking my reg brand and was smoking nasty indian ones...try a nasty pack of cigs to help you cut.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2009