Does my husband's ex wife have a right to his fire pension if she is remarried now?

I understand it if she is. I just am wondering if she does or not. I live in Oklahoma. My husband will be inquiring about it next week. Just thought I'd see if any of yall had any resources or answers I could use. They were married for 13 years, got divorced. Then he married me & we've been married for 5 years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• If she's remarried, I would think that she lost her chance to collect on it.
    Anonymous

• I would check, my grandmother had to spilt my grandfathers pension from the military because my grandmother was not his first wife, it also depends on what is in the divorce papers.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I live in Oklahoma too and it was the same way with my grandma as is was with midnightmoma's. My grandma and my grandpa were married for 17 years and she still got benefits from him after he died, and he had been remarried 3 times after that. I know it had to do with the length of time they were married but I am n ot sure how long you have to be for it to happen.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I *think* that it is if they were married for over half the time it took him to accumulate his pension or what not and some say the wife (in this case) can not have remarried to receive, some don't care either way.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• She is entitled to it, because that's how they settled up on their "assets". If he were paying her alimony, that would end at her marriage.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It's atleast 12yrs for pensions and social security I believe. Though I have never worked in your state. Getting remarried doesn't matter.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• With most pensions if you are married somewhere between 10-12 years the ex has the right to it.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 5:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• it depends on the agreements made in the divorce sttlement
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• She should have had stake in it at 10 years of the marriage, but it had to be noted in the divorce decree. Read the decree, and she may have whether she is remarried or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2009