Training an older dog

We just adopted an older dog, not really old, but about 2-3 years. Old enough that she hasnt had any training or lessons in manners yet. And she isnt house trained. She will hold it untill we take her utside, but if we wait to long, she will not tell us she has to go, just goes. I have 3 young kids and she is really really good with them, but needs some manners on licking in the face, and jumping up. And she had never been on a leash untill we got her. She was a stray rescued from the pound before she was put to sleep. I have trained puppies before, but never an older dog that already had set ways. Do I use the same techniques that work on a puppy or do I need to do some things differently. Is this something I need to take her to obedience training for? She is very sweet, somewhat timid, and not agressive AT ALL, just needs some fine tuning.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 6:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I would try leash training first, once you have the boundries set with her on a leash other training should be fairly easy for her to pick up. Timid dogs are a little hard to predict so I would use LOTS of treats when training her and also lots of praise, My dog was rescued and to this day is very timid with everyone except family members. There is a wonderful site called The Daily Puppy, to join is free, they have excellent training tips/ videos to watch, and a forum for you to ask any questions you may have. Enjoy your new addition to your family & Happy Easter
    katishome

Answer by katishome at 11:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would take her to obedience training for the jumping. I think the licking is a lost cause...all of my dogs like kids faces, they just love kids....The potty training will come. I just had to take mine outside every 10-20 minutes until he got the idea. Good luck!!!
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 7:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Train her the same as you trained others. Manners are manners, and it sounds like you're going for just basic obedience. If she's timid, training usually creates some confidence.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009