DS has a cold, no fever, just a cough and some mucus in his throat. Is it worth going to the doctor over?

If he does have a cold, they won't give him anything for it because he's a baby, and more than likely they're going to tell me "He just has a cold, let it run it's course." I know the signs of a cold, and the difference in a cold and other sicknesses such as the Flu, strep etc. Plus doctors study MEDICINE, not the human body, so anyone just about could diagnose a common sickness just as easily, if not better than a doctor. So, do/did you take your babies to the doctor, or do you let it run it's course? If you don't, is there anything you use to help them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son developed a bad cough last Sunday. By monday he was puking mucas, then he got a fever after he got sick. I took him to the DR just to be sure, and he ended up with pnuemonia, after being sick for just one day. If he has a cough so bad he is uncomfortable, they will tell you if there is anything you can give him after looking at him.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't take them for a normal cold...but when they had a normal cold, they usually got ear infections from that.

My daughter caught her first normal cold at 12 days old and I tried to take care of it at home. Went to the ER later that day to find out she had RSV and was admitted to the hospital for the night. This was in May...not during the peak season for RSV. You just never know what they've got!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• there are prescription cough medicines for infants if it is bad enough. so if you feel its that bad you may want to take him in to see if they will give him that. otherwise go with your gut on it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son just had a really persistent cough. Finally, I took him in just to be sure. Turned out he has a sinus infection in the back of his sinuses and it was draining into his throat, causing the cough. That was the only symptom he had. We take my daughter after 3 days because she was hospitalized due to RSV so I am panicky about her.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing about the ear infections. I never know that my oldest has an ear infection. He never complains that it hurts or has a fever. It always starts as a cold and then he just gets worse with the mucus. The first time I almost didn't take him because it was just a cold but he started to cough up the mucus. It was an ear infection.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I just let it run its course. I take DD's temp every time I change her diaper (when shes sick), put a pillow under her mattress, and try not to get sick myself. If the temp is over 100.4, give the dr a call. Otherwise, you risk getting sick yourself, and DS catching something worse at the hospital when you go,.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I thought the same thing as you. My son had a runny nose, sounded congestated, but no fever, he was happy smiling playful and acted great.His snot was clear as could be. He was hospitalized for 2 nights due to pneumonitius. He wasnt getting enough oxygen in his blood. Take your baby to the doctor. You never know.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2009