Anyone have the Mirena?

I got put on the mirena about 3 weeks ago, and I have bleed for about 2 weeks now.
Is this normal? How long before your body gets used to it and the bleeding stops?!?!?! Dying here....please help!!!
Thanks :)

mommy-wines

Asked by mommy-wines at 7:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I had mine put in this last december. 6 weeks after delivery, so I was still recovering. I bled off and on for about 4 or 5 weeks. I thought something was wrong because I was cramping and spotting. then it seemed as if i was having a period. but its stopped now. I still cramp once in awhile, no bleeding though. My doctor told me everyone reacts different, thats just how my body adjusted. Your problem sounds normal, but if your truly concerned then you should see your doc.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I've had mine since Sept '07. I bled for awhile, but I can't be sure if that was related to recovering from having my son or the mirena. But I haven't really bled at all since that stopped. It can be a pain, but so far it's the most effective BC I've found. I've also discovered that the docs rarely get annoyed by any questions you would have on it, so I would ask if something is bothering you. It's always better to play it safe with these things.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I didn't get the Mirena until my daughter was 6 months old. I spotted for about 2 weeks on and off, then it stopped. That was 2 years ago. I think everyone's body is different tho. 2 of my friends got it, one bled for a few days. The other bled on and off for 3 months. Like the other ladies already said, if it's a big concern call your doc.

Anonymous

• I had mine taken out because it caused me to cramp months after I had it put in.
    joinforcash1

Answer by joinforcash1 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You might try asking this in the Health section as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have one and I bled off and on for about two months. But now a year after I got it I have very light cycles..which basically means light spotting for three or four days.
    My cycles before were VERY heavy and lasted an entire week.
    Your OB will likely just say to stick it out and see if your body regulates. After three months if you are still bleeding then they will probably take it ou if you want them too.
    You have to admit it is a pretty effective form of BC... I didn't want to have sex while I was bleeding everyday. jk :)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i have one also i got it in 2005 and i cramped for quite a few months. i still get cramping from time to time. fortanetly i only have a light period(spotting) like once every 6 mts which is awesome. im nervous that im getting close to time to have it removed and i wonder how it will feel. i dont know if i would get another one because i dont want to go through having it put in and then the cramping the first few months. we will see though. if u can stick it out wait and see if it become better. i did and im glad but i have had friends who one had it removed and my sis' actually came out itself.
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 9:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I got mine in June of 07 and YES I spotted for about a month actually. And then for about a year I had really long period sometimes up to ten days but they were really light. After that... my period lasts for a couple of hours!! Very little cramping. I love it!
    redheadedcutie

Answer by redheadedcutie at 3:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yeah, totally normal. It will stop eventually :)
    redheadedcutie

Answer by redheadedcutie at 9:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010