How To Explain to A 3 year old the Neighbor's Dog Killed his Chickens?

We raise Chickens! Starting from an egg & hatching them & raising them! Our Daughter raises them too! The 1& 3 year olds enjoy them! Until A neighbor Dog came into the Yard & Killed them All! How can we Tell or Explain this to them? The 3 year old is almost 4 & knows something isn't right.. Asking where they are....

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 7:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Oh how sad :( I honestly don't know what I'd do. I hope they don't take it too hard :(

Did you report the neighbors? I would in case of future incidences with other pets.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Do you raise them to eat them? If you do you could explain that while you were taking care of them the dog decided he was too hungry to wait for them to be bigger and wanted to eat them now. That it is sad but sometimes that happens with animals. If you don't raise them to eat them, I don't know. Sorry if this is no help
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• well since they are still young to really understand maybe say they went to help the easter bunny since easter is tomorrow, i know that's kinda silly and i really wouldn't lie but i'm not sure what i'd say and you can always tell her when she gets a bit older.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 7:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son was 4 when my other sons cat killed his parakeet (cat was supposed to be outside, and got in through a window in the bathroom). We are religious though and just tod him that the cat hurt the bird really really bad and that Jesus didnt want the bird to hurt anymore so he came and took it to heaven where it wouldnt hurt, anymore. But he saw the cat attack, not the end resutl, but the initial lunge and knew the cat had hurt the bird, putting it in those words though helped him a little more than just saying, hey the bird is dead. If you dont want to explain the death thing yet I like the easter bunny idea posted above. GL and I am so sorry, kids shouldnt have to learn the hard parts of life like death of any kids that young. I agree, report the dog to animal controll. If not for a mean dog at least distruction of property.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I like the easter bunny story and just go get some chicks soon. i would be mad at the neigbor and make him reinbuse you.
    Anonymous

• If you use the chickens for meat the PP had the right idea, or if you don't, tell him the chickens went to heaven or something.....
    Anonymous

• We had the same problem, my middle child raises chickens and the neighbors dog killed all but 3 of hers. She's 6, so we could explain what happened more easily to her. We had the neighbors dog picked up after it tried to eat my husband when he caught it in the yard. Good luck to you.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You dont you tell him the chickens went to live on a farm so they had more room to run then when he wants to see then take him to a petting zoo.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Tell them the truth. A dog got into the yard and killed them. Your kids will handle it just fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Easter Bunny needed their help story. Its a white lie that saves heart ache. They're too little to hurt them with the truth. Whats the point?
    In the case of the dog you need to report the animal to animal control and confront your neighbor.
    We had a dog next door that ate our rabbits when we were little. My parents were very upset but didn't report them bc the animal was friendly around children and people and we figured it was natural instinct. Six months later it attacked my little sister and left her maimed for life. There is no reason that animal should be in your yard where your children play eating your chicks. Report it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2009