Who among us...

Has been spanked, put in a corner, yelled at, grounded, had time out, and/or had their mouth washed out with soap and turned out alright?

After the last two days, I'm wondering what some people do think is appropriate discipline since all of the aforementioned methods are abuse? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was spanked, rarely...because I learned from the previous times that there would be a miserable consequence. I didn't swear (in front of mom anyway) because I had seen my foul mouthed brother get his mouth washed out more than once. I don't think any of us were put in the corner, but I do with my daughter...because that is what works for her. We were grounded when "the punishment fit the crime" and I'm pretty sure my mom was hoarse from yelling by the end of the day from having all of us drive her nuts all day.

Our professions are: teacher, medical assistant, optometrist, finance major, pharmacy major, religious studies major, and pizza delivery boy.

One was bound to slip through the cracks...lol...but we survived it, weren't traumatized...and we knew what was acceptable and unacceptable behavior.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have all of the above... and I think I turned out just fine!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 7:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have had all as well, but cant see myseft doing some of them to my child. lol mostly because I would feel bad. Not because it would hurt him. And yes, I came out fine. =)
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My mother used to just spank me. She used to chase me too. Ha. Ha. I do the same. I love my mom very much and was never abused.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Out of that list my parents only did 1 - yelled. And that was only when I put myself in danger.
    The rest if the time In was talked to, and it worked, I didn't need to be scared of them to respect them, I never acted out (along with my 4 other siblings), and we never had to be subjected to bad parenting to "obey" the rules.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• its not bad parenting ladysavage. just cause your parents probably drugged all of you to make you behave doesnt mean that what other parents did is wrong.
    Anonymous

• LOL anon. I know, who knew - good parenting actually makes for good kids, who knew?
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:54 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• LOL OP I have been wondering this same thing today.... I never got my mouth washed out with soap cause I wasn't stupid enough to curse in front of my parents- but all the rest you betcha! I turned out just dandy! And I love my parents!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:57 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I was not just spanked I had my a$$ beat a time or two for doing something dumb. And let me tell you I remember them to this day and havne't done them since. I'm all for spanking, and all the aformentioned punishments. Kids nowadays aren't disiplined in the way I was taught to discipline.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009