5 Month Old Won't Sleep!

My son has been up for 8 hours straight today, I rock him so he gets to be tired and almost out, I lay him down gently as I always do. And wide awake and screaming he becomes. I dont know what to do. I know he's tired, he never goes that long with out a nap! Help someone Please!

LoniRae89

Asked by LoniRae89 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he wants to nap in your arms its probably cause he doesnt feel good take his temp and if thats where he wants to nap let him he may just be needy today I know somedays my DS doesnt want to be put down and the only way hell sleep is in my arms or fall aslepp on the nipp. and sleep in bed with me. He needs to sleep so let him in your arms. Does he still have wet diapers? Is he eating? whats his temp? give him some mylecon or gripe water for good measure. I know that my DS when he wont sleep I give him some mylecon and it just gets in his head that he knows it fixes his tummy and hell sleep or i give him just a drop of tylenol. kinda like the placebo affect. GL
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• could be teething, or an ear infection. does he seem sick? pulling at his ears, drooling alot, diareah? if not, then i say let him CIO himself to sleep if you know for sure he's really tired. since he's 5 months, i'd do it only about 8-10 minutes. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You could try a little gripe water in case it is an upset tummy. Plus, gripe water just has a way of calming them down a little. Then, you might just have to let him cry for a little bit. Around that age, over tired becomes a big issue. When you wait too long to get them down for a nap or if they miss a nap for some reason...they become much more difficult to get to sleep. Make sure you're watching for sleepiness cues on a regular basis (rubbing eyes, less interested in toys) and get him to bed as soon as possible. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't believe in CIO, I think that if a baby that young needs you, they need you. My DD would get like this sometimes and I would rock with her until she fell asleep. It's not like you have to do it every day, but on the off days when your LO won't fall asleep on their own, I'd do it. I would rather my child got a good nap during the day! Some days are like that.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• his tummy may hurt, laying him down may hurt really badly. Try some peppermint in water in a bottle. that should settle it a bit. or some baby gas-x.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009