Do you think that men are unhappy being married because they are "supposed" to be?

Seriously, men in the US particularly, are told from all sides that its almost "uncool" to be happily married. Just about every sitcom, comedy routine, or jokes at the office, reinforce the idea that being a bachelor is the ideal. A hundred years ago, men were taught the opposite. It was sort of like a mark of success to be married. It showed that you could support a family.So do you think that society's acceptance of this "humor" has played a part in a man's overall satisfaction with being married?

Lesli

Asked by Lesli at 8:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I think the general media doesn't help...but I don't think it's all that. I think most unhappily married men are that way because they see what all their single co-workers and friends get to do for fun on the weekend with no strings attached; when married men have the responsibility of raising children, and family to take care of and provide for. The same reason so many women are unhappily married. They look at those women out there who are single and holding down successful jobs and getting recognition for what society deems as a worthwhile endevor; while those of us who are married have added responsibilities. We always seem to think that the grass is greener on the other side...until we start walking in other ppl's shoes. Then hopefully we realize sooner or later that if we'd just start to look at all of our blessing's, we really don't have it so bad after all!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I don't think it's what you're saying at all... it's not uncool to be married, happily or not. It's uncool to be henpecked or whipped (male or female).
    To have to ask your spouse if you can do something.. makes you look like you're a child, makes you feel like a child etc...
    No, I don't even think that there's any fun being made of happily married people (Cosby's, Family Ties, Growing Pains to just name a few).
    But there is comedy in every marriage thank goodness.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It's not just society's humor on marriage it's society's acceptance about other things. Things that are accepted today were not accepted 60 years ago. I did a psychology term paper on a subject close to this  as an undergrad and actually learned that married men live longer than single men and single women live longer than married women. Imagine that.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Makes sense to me legalmommy... when they're married, we cook healthier meals and we push them to go to the dr for check ups and to exercise, so yea, they should live longer. And us... we worry ourselves sick (literally) about them and their work, eating, lack of exercise habits, and so many other things that go along with being a wife so it's no wonder so many women are having heart attacks and strokes.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think they are unhappily married bc monogamy is not a natural state for men. Unhappily married men are abundant in america bc such a stigma is put on affairs here. Other countries accept marriage and having one woman is unnatural so they don't frown on affairs. Men in polygamy marriages never seem unhappy now do they but what do we do? We outlaw them. It's like society doesn't want men happy.
    Anonymous