What can cause a fever with no symptoms?

My son has a fever around 101.4 and has for most of the day. His normal temp is about 99.4 so it's def. a fever for him. But he seems fine! Eating fine, acting fine except maybe just a tiny bit less active then normal. Not cranky and no symptoms. Should I be concerned? We've never had a fever with no symptoms before.

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 8:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It is prbable your son is brewing something. Did you check his ears? My son used to get ear infections so bad the eardrum would rupture but he would never complain of pain or even discomfort until he felt them rupture. Just keep an eye on him it could be a virus. In fact kids who get roseola and chicken pox get the fever before the rash/pox ever shows up.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Q usually gets a temp some times a day before he shows symptoms of being sick or not feeling well. so you might need to wait a bit for those to show up.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• A fever itself is a symptom. It may just be the first sign of something he's fighting right now, it sounds like his body is working well so far. Watch it, obviously, and if nothing help happens then there's no need to worry. It could also be teething, of course.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 8:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Are you alternating Tylenol and Motrin?
    Anonymous

• A fever is usually a sign of infection, so keep an extra close eye on him. Poor kid. I hope he can make it through Easter with nothing else showing up!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Any chance he is getting his three year molars?!?
    StifflersMom82

• Nevermind. lol. It's one and two year molars.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• No I'm not giving him anything, his fever is only 101 and he's acting fine. I don't give meds unless he feels crappy. We've just never experienced this before...and I googled it and scared myself like a moron because it was talking about meningitis and stuff like that. He's almost 3 but he's never had Roseola, but we haven't been anywhere lately and we don't even know anyone who is sick.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Just keep an extra close eye on him. Both my kid's are sick, and it came out of nowhere. Jacob came down with pnuemonia, but he wasn't even sick. Noah has a sinus infection that got into his lungs. Pnuemonia is scary in little people!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yeesh that is scary! :( I hope they're all better soon. Yeah I'm just not going to look anything up on the internet anymore, it's a bad idea...I'm just gonna keep my eye on him. He had his first ear infection a few weeks ago and it went away but maybe he has another one? He can't talk so it's hard to know.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2009