How can I get my period back again?

OK, never thought I would ask that! In early January I left my husband. I had my period the day I left. I didn't refill my birth control after that, cause I figured, what for?? Then I lost 17 lbs in a month just due to being stressed. (It was awful, not the weight loss I had always dreamed of) Now I'm back to eating normally, but still no period. Once a month I get cramps for a day or two, that's all. Yes, I did take a pregnancy test, negative. What is going on? I wanted to start my pills again, but how will I know when to start???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• Tell it you love it and that you will never cheat on it again....thats how mine came back to me.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Maybe it's all of the stress you've been thru. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go see the doctor just in case something is wrong. I don't know how old you are so don't be offended, but could you be having early menopause symptoms? I don't know...good luck.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• OP

LOL Not sure I want to say I love it or miss it. I just want to get regular agina so it doesn't show up unexpectedly at work or some thing and cause me real embarrassment.... I'm 42, don't think it's menopaus yet. Before all this happened, I never missed. Probably it's the stress. (There's been abuse and a custody battle too)
    Or does it have anything to do with not taking my pills?
    Anonymous

• Seriously speaking, stress is one of the reasons someone can actually miss their period and then the pills could definitely have something to do with it as well. You know what you need to love. GO TO YOUR OBGYN!!.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• stress can make you miss your period. or even being underweight (not sure if you are). the only time i've ever had a "normal" period is if i was on the pill. otherwise i get it every few months or so. but also going off the pill could mess up your body if you've been on it for awhile.
    Anonymous

• You indicated you lost 17 pounds-- where does that put you in terms of your BMI? If you're too thin, your body will not allow you to have children as it will be too stressful. Those in starvation often will not get their periods.

Stress is another culprit, although I'd be very worried if you went 4 months without your period.

Also, you indicate it might be the pills-- have you had your hormone levels checked? Not knowing your age, I'm assuming you're not entering menopause and are not perimenopausal.

I agree with diamondmomma-- go to your doctor and get checked out.

Take care!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Sounds like it may be stress. Call your doc and make an appointment, I also wouldn't rule out menopause.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 11, 2009