The nieghbors dogs, should we call animal control?

So heres the problem, my DF , myself , and our 8 month old just moved into a new place, everything here is great except for the fact that the people who live next door to us have a couple of dogs (a big old lab and what I think is a pit bull) well they are always getting out and running all over the place, and they dont seem to even care or try to stop them from getting out. Even the other day the dogs were out running around all over the streets and the lady went walking out back where the dogs usually are and didnt even notice that they were out. Normally I wouldn't care except for I dont know how nice the dogs are and I have a little baby to worry about, so would it be bad or rude of me to call animal control, just so that maybe they will go over there and talk to them about making sure their dogs dont get out?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Relationships

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • If you call animal control that is going to start problems and why would you want to do that? It sounds like you haven't even tryed talking to them yet. Go over there and and talk to them yourself (nicely) about the situation, they might be willing to fix the problem, if not, you're no worse off than you were before.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• BTW I forgot to add that they also have little children there around the dogs and they seem to be good with them, I just dont know how they would act around people they dont know
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would call animal control. They may seem like good dogs but it is law to keep your animals under control and on a leash if walking. They are animals, you never know when they will turn on you.

Anonymous

• They don't have to know it's you that called. Really who cares if you cause trouble? It's not OK for those dogs to be running around like that. If they can't take care of their animals then they shouldn't have any right?

Anonymous

• Dogs should never be left unsupervised IMO. I have 2 great dogs on the "bad breed" list but I still never leave them alone. It's irresponsible. At least if they're left alone, they should be well contained. I would talk to them about their dogs and let them know your concerns. If the dogs continue to escape, call animal control. They're not going to take their dogs or put them to sleep...they'll just talk to them and make sure they keep them in their yard.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'd go with Liz132 on this. It is best to try solving the problem socially with your neighbors. If the dogs are ok with your kid, then it shouldn't be anything to worry over. Research local leash laws for your new area. If dogs are supposed to be fenced in or on a leash, talk to them about it. It would be unfortunate if animal control caught the dogs on the loose.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Liz132--thats what I dont want to do, but at the same time they dont seem like the nicest people, or maybe I should say friendliest anyhow, I dont want to start any problems but at the same time I have to take my familys safety in consideration first
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Just trust me on this, you do not want to be on your neighbor's bad side, it can cause all kinds of problems.... And they will know it was you that called, you just moved in and their dogs probably have been runnig around like that with no complaints for a while. Other wise they wouldn't still be running around like that. It's best to solve problems with neighbors as kindly as posible because you'll probably be living there for a while.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Well I mean if they won't take care of it after you ask them, go ahead call. It's definatly more important to keep your family safe!
    P.S. I was writing that late response before I read your last one. lol
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• call animal control, they wont know who called on them. dogs should never be left outside unsupervised
    Anonymous