Chronic Cough???

My mom was daignosed with chronic cough about 5 months ago. This basically means she coughs all day all night and she isnt sick. Its just a cough. The doctors have offered suggestions on what can ease the cough but she pretty much has to just deal with it. Recently it has gotten so bad that she cant even sleep at night. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! =]

lilmsmaya

Asked by lilmsmaya at 9:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• Are they positive she doesn't have asthma? Is it possibe she's having an allergic reaction to something...something even as common as milk? Milk actually contains something that is known to cause mucus to develop in the chest and cause coughing.

www.notmilk.com
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• An inhaler? Try running a vaporizer at night. Elevate the head. I have asthma and all these help me. If I cough all night and my inhaler or asthma meds don't work, then I know something more is wrong and go to the doc for cough meds that have codeine in it (helps me sleep without waking up coughing). She needs to be careful because you can crack a rib coughing too hard.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My MIL has something similar and she says having a humidifier has helped a lot. A vaporizer as mentioned above could be very beneficial as well.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I kind of have the same issue the only thing I found that worked for me was allergy pills....allegra once a day maybe she can get a prescription and try it out, and its not a steroid like some allergy meds
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2009