loud music : okay or a big no-no??

i want to start by asking you to please not bash me for this, i'm just a first time mom looking for some clarity. okay, that being said, can loud music be bad for the growing baby? i have heard both sides, one saying that louder music helps the baby feel the vibrations which can help with the reflexes...but others say that i can damage the growing earbuds with any sounds that are out of the normal for the womb, especially loud music. so, whats true & whats not?? i am used to listening to very loud music (especially while im cleaning...it helps) but i dont want to do it if there is a chance of hurting the baby. any advice??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i have heard thats its mainly low-loud noises played for a long time is what could hurt baby's ears in utero...like subs in ur car, or other loud bass noise but most music played from something like a normal car stereo i think is fine
    Xavia

Answer by Xavia at 1:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• As long as you're pregnant, I think it's fine. Once baby is born I'd keep it at a normal level though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• When I was pregnant, I sat in a small room with a HUGE amplifier hooked up to my honey's electric guitar while he and his band (at the time) played. DD loved it (in utero) and she has no hearing problems or anything like that.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• As long as you are not putting headphones on your belly, outer music is fine.
    There are some studies that have shown headphones on your belly could potentially damage growing ears because you are introducing the soundwaves directly into your belly. But if you're playing music on a radio, TV, computer, etc, the baby should be fine. I can't find any links offhand but I remember reading it while pregnant. I wanted to research it myself because I am constantly playing music and was doing so while pregnant, too.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2009