Is it true that acid reflux causes cavities?

I haven't had xrays on my teeth for about a while. I have no insurance, and when I did the dental was shitty. Besides, I've never had a cavity in my life. Ever since my first pregnancy, I've had acid reflux. Not bad, but I've heard it can effect your teeth. And this past week i've had a toothache in quite a few of my teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• It can erode you enamel off
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'm not sure-- I didn't think that the acid traveled all the way to your mouth-- it would seem then you'd definately taste it, in which case you're vomiting (even if it's a little bit). The stomach acid is a ph of around 2, so it is acidic enough that you can erode enamel, but you would need to have repeated exposure for this to happen. Acid reflux usually travels up your esophagus but travels back down, causing that burning sensation.

Other foods are equally acidic-- lemonade, for instance. Soda pop isn't as acidic, but the phosphoric acid and carbonation combo accelerates the effect. If you put a tooth in a glass of cola, in about a week the tooth will have dissolved.

Pregnancy hormones affect your gums, and can cause gingivitis, making your more susceptible to cavities.

You should talk with your dentist and see if they won't give you fluoride paste to use to strengthen the enamel.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:38 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes, the acids can errode the enamel off your teeth and cause cavities. Brush your teeth or atleast rinse your mouth out with water after you vomit. Talk to your doc or dentist for other ideas.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes and no.
    The acid from reflux can eat the enamel on your teeth.
    BUT
    A sudden toothache in several teeth is most likely a sinus problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009