How many days after conception can the blood test be positive? Would implantation have to occur before a blood test would be positive???

BLoNdIe121679

Asked by BLoNdIe121679 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• my ob says it takes 14 to 18 days depending on ur cycle.
    Anonymous

• oh so thats pretty much the same as a urine test then?
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I believe that implantation is what causes the surge in HCG, the hormone that is detected for pregnancy tests. Blood tests can detect lower levels, but blood test vs. urine test is only a few days apart since your HCG levels duoble every few days early on.

I think you can test as early as 10 days after ovulation for the blood test. My doctor wouldn't order a blood test until I'd already been late by at least 1 day.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Busimommi is right. You have to have implantation in order for hCG to be released to receive a positive in a blood or urine test. Implantation usually occurs between 6-10 days post ovulation, but can sometimes take longer. This is why it's important to wait until your period is late (the full 14 days after ovulation when your period is due) in order to guarantee a positive and not a false negative result. Most doctors will not order a blood test until you are 5-7 days late for AF.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 11:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My doctor ordered one b/c I had a one day period last month and I'm starting new asthma meds that you can't take while preg. So I have to take the blood test before I can start that perscription.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009