Is the Easter Bunny real?

My daughter will be 9 in May. I'm pretty sure she probably knows the truth, but she still acts like she completely believes in the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa. I don't know whether to tell her or let her go on until she announces it for herself. She's very overprotected btw.

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 10:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just come right out and ask her. What's the worse that can happen? She's old enough to be honest with you about it. What does being overprotected have to do with it?
    Anonymous

• I would let her tell you what she thinks.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i would let it go until she asks or tells you she knows. unless you think it is something she will bring up in school and be ridiculed over her and are worried for her in that way, then i might talk to her
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:41 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• just wait until she lets you know she's figured it out. Seriously, if she actually does still believe, you'd be hurting her by telling her they aren't real.
    Anonymous

• My 9 year old just walked in my room asking the same question. I think we are going to tell him this year. I'm sure he's figured it out by now. But, he says "If I don't believe, I won't receive." lol
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would just let it go. To be honest, when I was about her age maybe a little older, I knew but didn't want to tell my parents and disappoint them. I knew they liked doing it for us. So I really never told them. Heck I still get presents from "santa" :D We all know, but we love the magic he brings to the holiday
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'd tell her that Santa and the Easter Bunny are characters that people can dress up as to make others feel good who deserve it. One Santa is to help people feel good at Christmas in the winter and the other the Easter Bunny help people feel better for spring through fall. Kids can be very very cruel, I'm not sure that at her age letting her stil believe this is good. Just wondering why is she overprotected about many other things?
    Anonymous

• Because I'm afraid to tell her the truth about a lot of things. I think it's just me not wanting her to grow up too fast. The other day, she saw a c-section on tv and I mentioned that was how her brother was born. She asked how she was born, and I completely changed the subject! I really need to work on this :(
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:59 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would let her tell you. Something might be real and others not. I remember talking to my friend in 4th grade... I believed in Santa still she said he wasn't real but thought the tooth fairy was real, I don't think I ever thought the easter bunny was real. But I think I would have been crushed if I had been told Santa wasn't real
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would let it go. She may know the truth but enjoys "pretending" just like us adults.
    Don't most of us adults talk about Santa like he's real? I know my husband and I will have conversations outside the presence of the kids and still mention Santa Claus. We'll have conversations like "What should Santa bring the kids" or to show off a gift, we'll say "look what Santa brought me". Let her have fun with it. I am sure my 9 year old doesn't believe in it either- since he was just with us when we bought all the Easter goodies, but he still went to bed early so the Easter Bunny would come......go fiqure.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2009