When did you begin to let your child self feed by themselves?

My daughter is 16 months old and mostly feeds herself with her fingers. My mother-in-law thinks she should be feeding herself with a spoon or fork by now. At what age did you start having your child feed themselves?

jdlott74

Asked by jdlott74 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i didn't let my son start with silverware until he was around 17-18 months. i HATE messes. he did really well, since he'd had time for his coordination to get good. i also got some of those enormous bib things that are for painting and stuff, to help deal with the mess. he's 22 months now and uses silverware like a pro for most things (except soup or slippery things)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 10:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I give DD (19 months) silverware and have since she was a year old, she can use it but for the most part likes using her hands. I remind her throughout the meal to use it and she will pick it back up but she is really slow with it so she likes shoveling food in with her hands better.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Q got his first silver ware as soon as he started reaching for them at around a year. he is now 17 months old and has a pretty good grasp of using a fork to spear things. we ended up giving him an adult fork at 16 months because the kiddie ones didn't spear well enough and was frustrating him as well as slowing his advancement of using a fork effectively... because it was unable to spear things well. spoons he is not so good at yet. and we are holding off on knives till he is 18. lol.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My 20 mon. old has always chosen to use his fungers, it's easier for them i guess. i gave him utensils at 1 i think and he uses them for certain things...i mean i always give them to him, but he goes for the fingers...lol
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 11:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son is a year old he uses his fingers i give him a spoon but he just puts it in his mouth he doesnt know how to use it yet
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My 19 month old started at around 1 year old. Like someone else said spoons were working on because he tips them upside down but he is doing great with a fork now. But another thing besides the mess is when he starts to get full he bangs the silverware on the table!! But you should at least introduce it. It never hurts to try
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 2:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2009