Help! I am not sure what's going on!! This is so painful for him!!

My (almost 3 year old) son for the first time last night woke up three seperate times crying miserably saying "mommy owwie" and holding his leg. At first I thought he was seriously hurt but he fell back asleep all 3 times and this morning woke up and was fine. Any Ideas of what's going on??? To me it sounds a little like growing pains, and if it is, how do i help with some relief??

hunters3mommy23

Asked by hunters3mommy23 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• maybe just a bad dream?.... talk to his doctor is what I'd do..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• talk to the doctor, it could have been a tremor in his leg which could mean something serious....or it could mean a blod clot, also serious. no need for panic, just get him looked at just to be safe
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Maybe his leg is falling asleep? I would definately contact the Dr. about it, just in case. If he does it tonight, I would give him Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Also, keep track of the times he complains about the pains and make sure you give that to the Dr.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• or cramping in his legs while he is sleeping. i'd mention it to the dr, but in the meantime you could try a glass of water before bed, and more potassium, both help with cramps
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i don't have any kids but i know i wake up with leg pains all the time, it might be cramps they hurt really intensely then all the sudden go away to like a dull ache, i always put icy hot on it and it feels better but probably check if its safe for kids first. sorry i couldn't be any more help good luck!
    jak89

Answer by jak89 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• With the warmer weather has he been more active playing outdoors? He might be just sore from playing harder. Maybe a little tylenol before bed after an active day will help with the leg pain.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If he is feeling fine now, then I would assume it just fell asleep or maybe a leg cramp. No need to run to the doctor yet. If it were really something serious the pain would continue.
    emdred

Answer by emdred at 11:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Mine has the same thing from time to time. I try to massage her legs for a little bit and it usually helps her fall back asleep. She really only gets that way after a really active day. If you think it is more serious please go see the Dr just to make sure.
    teafan

Answer by teafan at 11:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Give a call in to the doctor's office. It could be as simple as he is low on potassium or a little dehydrated or just sore from a busy day of play. However, its better safe than sorry.

Mamabearisback

Answer by Mamabearisback at 12:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009