• In the Spotlight:

Why do toddlers like to break crayons?

I went through this with my first, and now my son is doing it! Why!!!!!!!!!!!1

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 11:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually, broken pieces of crayon are what kids need to learn how to hold a writing utensil with the correct finger position. Holding a broken piece makes them hold it with three fingers in a mature grasp instead of holding it in their palm. Breaking them is just fun for them! It is a new skill that they like to practice.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• b/c it makes us crazy
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• They are compelled to do it! LOL! I think they look at a nice, new, shiny crayon and think about ways to break it!
    Anonymous

• my kids dont break them they peel the dang things it makes me so mad!!
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• OH YES MY DAUGHTER BREAKS THEM AND TEARS THE PAPER OFF.....I HEARD SOME WHERE'S YOU CAN PUT ALL THE BROKEN PIECES TOGETHER AND PUT IT IN THE OVEN TO MAKE A PRETTY BUT WEIRD ONE! IM THINKING ABOUT TRYING IT LOL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I am also in the "Drives Us Crazy" bunch, and then my 13 mo old wants to eat whatever his big sis drops...calgon take us away.
    teafan

Answer by teafan at 11:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Part n' parcel of the learning process! They have to figure out that their actions affect things and cause changes to things in their environment...especially if they're boys! LOL! At the same time it's a learning process that I find I've yet to complete...as in learning PATIENCE!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• haha mine is at that point except he runs and hides and tries to eat them!!!
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I think they like the sound they make when they break. Kinda scarey if you think about how much they sound like breaking bones. YIKES!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2009