Smelly couch.

We just bought a used couch on Craigslist. It reeks of cigarette smoke. I took the covers off of the cushions and I'm washing them, but I need to clean the rest of the couch. Febreeze got some of the smell out, But I want to actually clean it. What would be the best upholstery cleaner to use?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Woolite has an upholstery cleaner that works pretty good. My SIL uses a Tide & water solution with a scrub brush. I always worried it would saturate the stuffing but so far he says no. You could use ODOBAN too. It works better than Febreeze. My carpet guys recommended that to me and it works great too.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i have a carpet cleaner (the thing that looks like a vacuum) that has a hose attachment for cleaning upholstery. if you have one, or know someone who does, i'd try that
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would rent the rug doctor from Wal-Mart or Home Depot and use their cleaning products. It always gets out my worst stains.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't know anything about which is the best product for cleaning upholstery, but I would suggest after cleaning it to put dryer sheets in all of the pillow and cushions. I do this every once in awhile to help keep it fresh smelling.
    emdred

Answer by emdred at 11:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If you can afford to have someone comein and clean I would they have some pretty good cleaners.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 11:47 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• The only thing I was able to use was an ozonator-- the air purifier that generates ozone-- it used to be sold by Sharper Image as the Ionic breeze. The ozone molecules bind with odor molecules to eliminate the odor.

My hubby nearly burned my apartment down when we were dating, and I learned this firsthand. We locked up the furniture in a small space and sealed it wth tape, then turned that sucker on overnight. Worked beautifully.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Why would you buy a couch that smelled?
    Anonymous

• Because it was only 50 bucks. Plus when we went to pick it up, it didn't smell. They had just cleaned it, and the odor was covered up. We didn't notice the smell until it had been in our living room for the entire day. Anon, if you're not going to be helpful, why respond at all?

Also, to the person who reported the answer from joleensboys, I know you had the best intentions, and thank you, but she is my cousin. It's a running joke between the two of us. She was just kidding.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009