• In the Spotlight:

Pregnant, throwing up, diarrhea, now spitting up, diarrhea turned to gas...?!

It is now Saturday night and i am 22 weeks pregnant with my second baby, a boy. On Tuesday night i was throwing up all night and trying to have diarrhea but my body simply wouldnt do it. I threw up 8 - 12 times (were unsure how many) and i actually had diarrhea once. After about 12 hours of unbareable pain we went to the ER. They did blood and urine tests and made sure the baby was okay. They said everything was normal, i was just severly dehydrated. They gave me 2liters of water though my blood and Metoclopram and i fealt better. Im mostly over it now, except im having diarrhea that is about 90% gas and 10% clear fluid. I cant eat much and every time i do i get this acid stuff trying to come up in my throat.

Anyone have similar symptoms when pregnant? Do you know what would make me feel better?
Thank you all so much.. <3

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 11:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• You seriously sound like you need to just go to bed and stay there for a while.
    Anonymous

• sleep or just lay down and get some rest. eat some salteen crackers and some water before you even get up out of bed. keep them next to you. it sounds like you might have a little stomach flue thats going around. hope u feel better!
    krstqt123

Answer by krstqt123 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You're pregnant, honey, welcome to the not-so-fun part....seriously, though, it could be reflux (the acid taste in your throat). Elevating the head of your bed can help keep it down. The metaclopromide that they gave you in the ER can also be prescribed by your OB-GYN and may help you stay hydrated. If you are dehydrated, losing weight or not gaining the right amount of weight, treating your nausea with Phenergan (metaclopromide) is, I think, in the best interest of the baby. Just my opinion.

You need to discuss this with your doctor, though, dehydration can have some very bad effects on you and the baby.

As for the gas/diarrhea, it's actually better to make sure that you are getting enough water (not tea or juice...water) and highly nutritional foods. Proper diet CAN regulate the gut...fiber helped especially in my case. However, I dealt with the gas/diarrhea and the pain it causes for most of my last pregnancy.
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 10:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2009