developmental question.

I got a new toy for my 8 month old son - it is a combo 'put the ring over the peg' and 'put the ball in the whole' toy. The packaging says that it is for 6+ months. HE has had it for a while now and I have shown him how to do it. He seems totally uninterested in doing that and just likes to chase after the balls and wear the ring (both are also good for chewing)
When did your children gain these skills? Might there be something developmentally wrong with my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i doubt it. very rarely do my kids actually use their toys for their intended purpose :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My daughter has the sit to crawl polar bear ball track or whatever. She knows how to use it, but it is more fun for her to roll the balls back and forth. Most of her toys, she just kind of does what she wants with them. She is creative! The things you should be looking out for regarding developmental problems are delays in walking, talking, sitting, crawling, all of that. If he is rolling over and at least making an attempt to sit up unsupported and crawl, then you are fine. I would think anyway.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• kids always find ways to make the stuff we get them different than its original purpose. my daughter did the ring over the peg thing when she was about 1 but still didn't do it all the time, she had more fun making them roll by holding them on their sides. the ball in the hole type things she didn't start doing til 1 1/2. shes 3 now and half her toys are used for what they are meant for the other half for whatever she wants them to be. i think its a good sign that they are thinking outside the box
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Remember that the age guides at these early ages aren't for "the child is capable of doing this"... the age guides are for "this toy won't harm your child".

My daughter rarely played with toys in the "proper" manner. But she loved them and enjoyed them - and that's the point.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. I like to think she is more creative by wearing the rings. She is thinking outside the box..lol. She marches to her own drummer. Oh and she is 18 months old and I would say she is on track if not advanced for her age.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2009