Easter Bunny question and my 9 year old...

My 9 year old daugher seems to still believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, etc...now whether she really does or not I am not sure. Kids at school tell her that they are not real and she tells them how else do the gifts get there. I am thinking that soon I need to sit down and tell her the truth, I would rather she hear it from me than obnoxious kids at school. I want her to know that just because she does not believe does not mean the fun will stop. What do you all think?

jordanmarie2000

Asked by jordanmarie2000 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I think it's great that she has been able to believe for this long...I wish I could have (thanks you stupid kids at school.) My mom still did presents from "Santa" even when I stopped believing and Christmas was still fun. I do have to say though that when I found out Santa wasn't real it was a huge bummer so break it to her gently.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• idk, i suspect my 9 year old has figured it out, and i'm afraid he's gonna tell my 5 year old. so maybe you will get an answer that will help us both. here's a BUMP for ya.
    pattisayshello

Answer by pattisayshello at 12:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I have a younger child also, a 3 year old son. I have 2 cousins that are very close to my daughter and they are 5 years older then her and have never even gave her the hint that it was not real and they have known for quite a few years and I am so thankful for that. I will do it gently I do not want to crush her, that would break my heart.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My 8yo just informed me this morning that there is no such thing as the Easter bunny because Mommy is the Easter bunny. Awww. My 7yo son agreed with her but that started an argument with the 6yo because she whole heartedly believes in the bunny and my 3yo didn't care as long as she got enough candy.

What I would do is NOT sit her down (I've found from talking to people that it causes more damage then good) but on the next holiday don't hide that you are Santa or whatever. Like leave the wrapping paper out that is the same as Santa's wrapping or write "from Santa" in handwriting that is obviously yours. Slip up and say something that would make her think Santa might not be real. I've been doing more and more of that each year for the older kids (the younger 2 seem to ignore the slip ups).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Eventually all kids stop believing, I will never sit down and explain to my kids that the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus aren't real but that doesn't mean the traditions will change. The older ones play along for the younger ones and none of my kids have ever been bummed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I plan on giving my son the no Santa talk at around 8-9 by using a book on St. Nicholas and pointing out the significants rather than the lack of magic. Once he gets that talk I think the Easter Bunny will naturally follow. I don't think it will change the amount of excitement that the day boils down to. Knowing and still pretending is still fun. When I was 17 'Santa' still came to my house for me and of course I played it up. Yeah! Santa came!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We never really did the Easter bunny thing, but my son was a strong believer in Santa. So much so that I had to tell him at 11 that he wasn't real. I felt I had to tell him because I was afraid he would mention what he got from "Santa" and be ridiculed by his friends. He was shocked when I told him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009