speaking of WIC...

I've NEVER been embarresed to receive WIC. I love everything about it and would highly recomend it to any family in need.
I was at the grocery store the other day and I was doing all my grocery shopping (including my WIC list). I go about my shopping and buy everything I need (got a big cart full). Get to the check out an I always do our WIC first. The cashier just really mad me feel ackward lookig at me funny and scanning my items real slow. She kept looking at the stuff like it was gonna spontanisouly combust. It was everything approved I didnt pick up anything that wasnt. Than people were gripping because it was taking so long... I think thats were WIC users get the bad reputation. And I'm not saying it s always the cashiers being slow but sometimes it just takes an extra few minutes. Why is everyone in such a big hurry??? Does it really kill ya to wait an extra 5 minutes while the cashiers checks off some numbers??

NewTakeOnLife09

Asked by NewTakeOnLife09 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know exactly how you feel!!...heck I remember a time when foodstamps were real "food stamps" and had denominations and on the back of each one the cashier had to "stamp"...boy was it embarressing!!(so is my spelling) now days it's easy and I can see wic one day getting into the debit card thing....people just need to mind their own no other peoples...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You don't have the card? Our wic has just switched over to a debit card type thing that you just slide into the card reader thing, then they ring it up and then you take the card out and they hand you the recipt. Makes things much easier.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 12:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i have a debit card for foodstamps and wic. i worked at a grocery store all the women had the card i wouldnt even know what to do with the paper kind
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I am glad that you are able to use Wic I think it is great I wouldnt let it worry me it helps your family out and if you feel like you are not being treated respectfully let the manager know. I know I have been in front of those ladies who use wic and I am very patient with them because I know there babies wont go with out.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 12:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You know what annoys me about using WIC? When I get whole milk for my son at Kroger, the cashier always has to get a manager to do an override on whole milk. I usually go to Food Lion now because the generic cereal is better over there, but it was always embarassing at Kroger because the people behind me acted like it was my fault or something.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i know it does take a while...but they should have got in line ahead of time..its not your fault and you need to get your things..if it was them they wouldnt be complaining they would patiently wait!!!
    mommyjboo

Answer by mommyjboo at 12:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Debit cards for WIC?? really? lol! sheesh! Minnesota is behind in the times!!!...at least in the northern area...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I've only seen the WIC vouchers....but its been 2 years since I worked in a grocery store so never heard of the WIC debit card. I never was rude to a customer who presented me with WIC voucher....I never honestly thought anything of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I thank God Texas now has the WIC debit cards. It makes things easier cause you can put your entire order together and just debit the WIC first and pay for the rest.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 1:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Here in L.A. we have WIC stores, they only provide things approved for WIC and everyone knows what they are there for.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2009